Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took a three week break from shooting. Got hot, now in survival mode just trying to get through the hot summer. I work outside, construction. I have found that I shoot better when I don't shoot every day. Strange, I know, but when I shoot every day, I'm stronger, and I tend to control the bow.... yea, sounds like what I should be doing... but I get a more consistent shot, cleaner release when the bow and I share the power. I won't try to explain any further, maybe someone knows what I am referring to. Anyway, I took a three week break. Went to the tournament this weekend, shot my highest score of 191 [20 targets] and then shot another 100 arrows at the 45, 50 and 80 yd targets at this club's range. At that time, I felt no fatigue, pain, etc. But monday and today, I have the worst case of tendonitis ever. My arm is almost unusable. Mercy, could hardly hold a hammer today. So, on one hand a layoff does not hurt me, my scores, on the other hand, it hurts. I need to shoot some every week to stay conditioned. Does anybody ever shoot just to keep your strength?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cancer is robbing me of my mussel mass and core strength . I shoot 5-7 days a week to try to keep enough strength to shoot . If I lay off it is not good . I go from being the best shot I have ever been one day to not having accursey enough for hunting other days . I am shooting 43-46# . I work with 50# some so that the 43# well stay feeling light . I think I am running a fine line between injurey and staying strong enough . Plus I love shooting my bows . It is good for my soul . I think one can shoot two much , but each person has to find what works best for them .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I try to shoot daily. Im either working on accuracy, trying something new, or more importantly keeping my form via strength from shooting. If your mind is wondering and your just flinging arrows, shooting every day can create bad habits which could lead to poor accuracy. Always try to have a purpose when you practice and stay focused or stop shooting.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cancer is robbing me of my mussel mass and core strength . I shoot 5-7 days a week to try to keep enough strength to shoot . If I lay off it is not good . I go from being the best shot I have ever been one day to not having accursey enough for hunting other days . I am shooting 43-46# . I work with 50# some so that the 43# well stay feeling light . I think I am running a fine line between injurey and staying strong enough . Plus I love shooting my bows . It is good for my soul . I think one can shoot two much , but each person has to find what works best for them .

I hear the term "stay strong" used often. Pulling a bow... it fits the situation. I wish you well.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I took a three week break from shooting. Got hot, now in survival mode just trying to get through the hot summer. I work outside, construction. I have found that I shoot better when I don't shoot every day. Strange, I know, but when I shoot every day, I'm stronger, and I tend to control the bow.... yea, sounds like what I should be doing... but I get a more consistent shot, cleaner release when the bow and I share the power. I won't try to explain any further, maybe someone knows what I am referring to. Anyway, I took a three week break. Went to the tournament this weekend, shot my highest score of 191 [20 targets] and then shot another 100 arrows at the 45, 50 and 80 yd targets at this club's range. At that time, I felt no fatigue, pain, etc. But monday and today, I have the worst case of tendonitis ever. My arm is almost unusable. Mercy, could hardly hold a hammer today. So, on one hand a layoff does not hurt me, my scores, on the other hand, it hurts. I need to shoot some every week to stay conditioned. Does anybody ever shoot just to keep your strength?
Three weeks is to long to maintain what you have so you would start to lose it.
I read somewhere that if you don't maintain all you do is hurt yourself next time you try something that got a little lost for practice.
Right now I'm really only shooting 2-3 times a week to stay in my groove because it's winter in NZ now and along with the wet weather I'm leaving for work and arriving home again in the dark.
I seem to be doing ok now but any less than this and I know I can lose both strength and accuracy.

John.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I like to shoot everyday, it's like my evening therapy session after a long day, but our State ASA championship is in two weeks. I came in second last year, I'm gonna try it again, so right now I have a lot more purpose/focus when I shoot. I may start out the session working close on my shot sequence or maybe aiming/holding but I finish every session on the 3D targets out back.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like to shoot everyday, it's like my evening therapy session after a long day, but our State ASA championship is in two weeks. I came in second last year, I'm gonna try it again, so right now I have a lot more purpose/focus when I shoot. I may start out the session working close on my shot sequence or maybe aiming/holding but I finish every session on the 3D targets out back.
Good luck on this years championship. I won't be shooting for at least another week... I hope, no relief yet

·
Registered
7,516 Posts

Keep shooting and kick cancers ass. Best of luck to you.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I never quit shooting for 3 weeks....I do however take a long weekend off...it always does me good,clears my mind which is probably the most important...I always come back stronger and refreshed.

It's important to take some time off from time to time.

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

I wish you the best, keep strong.
Dan

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Kia Kaha Ring Kia Kaha.

Stay strong brother,
John.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you all . I am doing just that . Bow shooting , bow hunting , and Tenkra fly fishing are a big part of my life . A walk in the woods with my bow or Tenkara fly rod is good for my body , sool , and mind .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.