Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a heavily debated topic, but i'm just looking for a good rule of thumb. I have a Trad Tech Pinnacle II with black max limbs 50lbs at 28", I am currently shooting it at 26"DL with beman bowhunter arrows that weigh in at 400grns. With this combo, what should my yardage limits be in order to get killing penetration on a whitetail deer, good heart/lung shot?

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
an arrow with a sharp broadhead or target point will kill even when it is only under the total influence of gravity.
that being said, you are the only person who can determine that! what is your point on distance? do you have an aiming system? what yardages are you profecient at? add these up in an honest manner and you will have your answer.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Taking into account all that Larry has mentioned...MY max yardage is around 25 yds for whitetails. For me its not a question that the equipment can do it much further. The buck I shot last season was a complete pass through at 22yds shooting a 56# black bear WARF with black max carbon/wood limbs. Arrow was a Beman ICS bowhunter 540 grains with a Snuffer SS head. From what I have read, guys get pass throughs on elk with lesser setups provided they are tuned well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally understand the logic and rationale of the skill behind the arrow being a greater factor. Coming from a compound hunting background I had no doubt that my arrow could harvest a whitetail at my ability level of 40yrds, I just wasn't sure if I would be able to get that range out of my recurve even if my ability level with my recurve is at 40yrds. And please don't get me wrong, the furtherest i've ever shot a buck with my compound was 37yrds and that was done in an open field with a range finder watching him feed, so as to say most of my deer that i've killed with a bow have been in the neighborhood of 20yrds and that right now has been my skill level range with my recurve so far.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Your bow will kill them as far as you shoot them. For me my guess would be 90% of the deer I've killed would be under 20 with most of that around 15.

Elk closest the arrow barely cleared the riser furthest 55 yards.

Matt

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
That yardage is dependent on the archer. I practice long range shooting (but targets don't move), I have passed probable P&Y bucks at 50 yards, just because they were too alert. Yet, I have shot and harvested elk at those distances as they fed. Would I take a 50 yard shot at a buck, yes if everything was right, no wind and animal was calm. Now saying that of the 30+ deer I have taken, 95% were inside of 30 yards. I have shot elk at 2 yards, and at 50.... A sharp BH with a well tuned arrow with a good shot placement will harvest any animal quickly further than I am willing to shoot.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Shooting and Hunting are two different things. Getting to know the game you hunt is a BIG part of knowing how far you can shoot, regardless of how successful you are shooting at a bullseye or 3D in your back yard…. I'm not saying don't know your backyard capabilities… just add that to what you experience in the field and you'll come up with what works for YOU. Good Luck, All the best!

Tom

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello All
Terrain where I hunt determines my shot distance. Here would be 20 to 30 yds.
Now if I recall right from years past shooting targets with a recurve 35 yards. A arrow started leveling out on its plain.[ Later

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've been a very lucky deer hunter over the past 50+ years and I've fed my family pretty well with the scores of deer I've taken. One of the many reasons I switched from the wheels to the sticks was that I couldn't remember any that I couldn't have taken within my self-imposed "if he comes any closer than that tree ...he's dead" comfort range with my longbows. That's 25 yards. With my quietest bow and on a totally unaware feeding deer I could probably safely stretch it to 30.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My own furthest shot at a big animal was 41 yards, measured with a range finder after the shot.
Most have been around 15-20 yards.
If I'm not hunting clearings all my hunting is in very thick bush and that 15-20 is just the range I seem to first see the animals.
I don't really have a self imposed limit, it's just doable or it's not, and a lot more than just the distance comes into that.

John.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Furthest Elk with onestring, 35 yards.
Furthest Deer,,22.

When I Compound hunted in my 3D competition days I killed one deer at 43 yards.

Closest Deer 3 yards.
Closest Elk, 12 yards.

Closest squirrel was 3 feet.
Closest Dill literally almost stepped on my boots and I had to let him get past me.

I killed a deer one time walking right at me so close with a smokepole that I never raised it and hip shot him as he walked right by by at mere feet.

I killed a Javelina with a 75 pound recurve and a single blade head looking right at me at about 6 feet. The arrow hit him right between the eyes and he dropped like he was shot with a magnum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, I knew I would get some real life experience. With the poundage and DL i'm shooting with my bow what would be a good grain weight to shoot for when building some hunting arrows for my setup?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Nothing wrong with 45-46# and the 8.7gpp you're shooting now if they tune well to your bow. Put a really sharp, cut-on-contact broadhead on the front of the shaft and shoot well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My only word of caution would be what can that deer do from the time the arrow leaves the bow, until it arrives at the intended target. I saw a picture of a deer shot at 50 yards with a compound bow. The arrow flew right to the target, un fortunately that deer had tuned about 90 degrees and the arrow flew straght into his backside. Some game animals are slower than others. If that deer is on alert, my shot would be 15 yards or less. My self imposed limit is a strong 20 yards. A lot of that is due to the terrain that I hunt here in Southwest Indiana. My max distance with my 12 gauge or my Henry 44 is about 50 yards, my longest shot to date is 35 at an actual whitetail with either one of them.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Well if you practice long shots then you should be getting good at it or atleast comfortable with it.

If you practice lots - shoot with your hunting gear on as much as possible.....then you will know what your max distance is.

I remember (before I learned all about form - tuning - supposid ethical hunting shots etc etc) that I just used to shoot and never EVER thought of yardage......I just shot things.

No sights - no gapping - not great form I guess either.....just grip it and rip it.

Then what we tend to do as ADULTS is OVER COMPLICATE THINGS.

Now I always think twice before I draw even.

Beofre I knew what I know now I shot a bear (biggest bear I have shot btw) with a bow I only shot 6 arrows out of.....

it was a darton target bow (borrowed aluminum arrows - don't even know the weight)....no silencers - no rest - no velcro (shot right off the wood) didn't have anything on the riser or the shelf - one knock point split finger using JUST MY FINGERS - no tab - no glove and a tight nock I think.

This bear came out and I just pulled and shot ( I knew the BH wasn't sharp as it could be) and it hit him quartering away - entered second to last rib - and came out his shoulder - he barked and bit it off and only went about 30 yards......

Dead dead dead.

6-1/4" pecker bone (must have been an african one :) )

so what's the differecnce with how I hunt now......christ I second guess every friggin shot now even when I am just shooting 3D.....the only time I don't is when I STUMP SHOOT - guess there is NO PRESSURE to hit it.

So I don't know......I think it's like Bruce Lee used to say..." form creates a classical mess" be formless my friend and get back to enjoying hunting and shooting the bow again.

jer

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
jerbearyukon,

You're talking my talk..

Couple years ago, while driving down an abandoned railway line, looking for moose, a small flock of grouse walked out on the right of way.

My buddy slammed on the brakes, put the truck in park, jumped out, grabbed a hand full of cinders and started to side arm them

Got 2 grouse.

That’s what I call instinctive. No second guessing there!! LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts