Trad Talk Forums banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Send it here. Was 80 in Mass other day as well.
snow showers Sat nite Sun.
Deer are still feeding on whatever is left green. Dry here all year. No real mast crop to speak of this fall.
I go up to other farm early in morning with a friend. Taking Osage bows into the vreek bottom. Should be ok early.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
11 Sep 2022

To all Veterans and folks serving now. Thanks for standing that watch, post and guard.

To all my Bothers who i left in some patch of worthless dirt. I will never forget you, I will always put your memory and brave service above all other public service until I leave this earth. You are the best of us. Salute .

went out in rain as front came thru. Purty crappy weather. Squirrels were out in force. Deer were not.

Plant Twig Wood Trunk Tree

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
13 Nov 22

Finally some hunting weather! 27 and NW wind at 5-10.
Go in early overlooking river bottom and beanfield. Deer were all over even before light. Saw perhaps 40 deer, lots of different bucks. Saw three very good deer. Coutfed coup on several that went by about 0700. By 0730 the deer hit the timber and filtered apart.

Good morning when you see that many different deer. Im sure some were same deer. Coyote came out twice and cleared the open twice.
Great to see three really outstanding bucks rutting.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
14 Nov 22

Another cool morning.Clear, 26 east winds. Deer were up and i saw four in moonlite go by me.
At first lite deer were moving feeding, etc.
Saw multiple groups of 8-10 ctossing river, feeding only one good buck.
Just bunches of doe and yearlings til 10:00 steady.

Fun to watch yhat many deer in several hour sit.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
14 Nov 22

Went back in evening for a sit. was not set up long on ground long when a another doe a single went by. above and gave me a good broadside quartering away shot. was a few small poplars i had to shot thru but there was a purty good hole. She went only about 80 yards but went in a huge tangle of blackberries, golden rod and other scrub on the edge of a high line. Did not find til after dark and had to hustle up as the coyote run that high line every nite. Good hunt.

Have plenty of doe that need to be harvested at my place. Seen over 100 in just 2.5 days during rut. This is what happens when folks all around me only shot bucks year after year after year. You end up with a herd ration way outta whack. Going to have to bring a few more hunters in here to get this back into better ratio. I have seen it like before. In 2014 we had a small snow over nite. I went out and there were 20 some beds in a half acre of ground. Went out the next day and the were over 50 beds. Mostly all doe. We fixed that in 2015 season. Now we are right back where we were then. Since 2015 we half taken nice mature bucks every year.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
18 Nov 22

Good cool morning. 28 degrees, NW wind.
Got in early and bumped some deer going in.
went to my ridge tree that parallels highlines.
Waited for sunrise in the tree and within 30 minutes a 5x4 snuck in and freshened a scrape 25 yds away and hit a tree a few times. He came on by to 5yds almost under me. Nice deer 3 yr old. Will look good next year if he lives thru the rifle season.

At 0800 another wide deer came out of the thick brush right behind me and went on down the ridge. Within minutes those two bucks were fighting below me in a sycamore bottom.
They broke up after about 5-8 minutes and loser ran off.

Great morning with a selfbow in the Whitetail woods.

HH~

Face Smile Sky Military camouflage People in nature

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
19 Nov 22

21 degrees, wNW winds and clear. Went up to farm and hunted the Chicken Coup stand.
Had a 3yr old come by early. Nice deer needs a yr or two. 0800hrs a nice 5x5 18-20” wide came in to about 20yds and went by fast. 15min later he came back in behind me in a patch of brush and saplings, no shot. He poked around a bit then went over a small oak hill with his head to ground. Good deer but he broke up purty good. Looked like a 5yr old with a big body.
No doe at all in there this morning. Strange.

Good morning. My bud who was in my decoy stand had a shot at a 4x4 but he ducked arrow at 20yds. Went right over him. Not a bad morning. His bow is a fast RD Osage near [email protected] and i was surprised he ducked it. He must have seen arrow coming it?

Good Hunting

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
22 Nov 22

Went yesterday was colder 19 degrees in early morning. Deer were moving well. I hunted up on some GVT land, got a spot and had some luck. This is a one buck over 15" inside or four point or better zone. I could only get a a spot for ML yesterday so I took it and had some luck. I dont usually hunt with a deer here with a firearm. Took me most the day to find him and get him out as I was in a large area and long walk in and out.

He got into a open area of dead tall grass and it took me a good few hours to find him not much of any blood. Did go for just a mess in there until I figgered out what he did.

Funny because he came by at 15-20yds at about 0700 and I could have arrowed him as he was just slowly poking around looking to get on another doe. He stopped and was sniffing ground and looking around.

HH~

Plant Fawn Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thanks Dave

Had one of my SF buddies from Bragg call me other day he been outta country for a good while. Wanted some meat for the house. I told him I would get him while he was back home. I will get him break down and cape this buck today. Wrap him and grind some burger as well. Will get back after them after Thanksgiving Day.

Good Hunting

HH~

·
Registered
825 Posts
22 Nov 22

Went yesterday was colder 19 degrees in early morning. Deer were moving well. I hunted up on some GVT land, got a spot and had some luck. This is a one buck over 15" inside or four point or better zone. I could only get a a spot for ML yesterday so I took it and had some luck. I dont usually hunt with a deer here with a firearm. Took me most the day to find him and get him out as I was in a large area and long walk in and out.

He got into a open area of dead tall grass and it took me a good few hours to find him not much of any blood. Did go for just a mess in there until I figgered out what he did.

Funny because he came by at 15-20yds at about 0700 and I could have arrowed him as he was just slowly poking around looking to get on another doe. He stopped and was sniffing ground and looking around.

HH~

View attachment 40886
Thats a nice one, congrats

·
Registered
825 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving Bow Hunters

HH~
You too,
Late season elk opens in the morning. I do not like the cold nor the snow. So am having a really hard time getting excited.
Sent some moose hunters into some of my spots close to home and they reported lots of elk sign over the last few weeks. So I imagine Ill get me a big cup of coffee going and every bit of cold weather gear I own on and get up there in the am.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
25 Nov 22

put a buddy up this morning. He was not up for long. A nice 4x4 came by at 0700 up the ridge and his selfbow with 160grn Ace did its job.
Think this is his first SB harvest. Was a warm morning and tained cleared out about 0300 this morning. Will hit 60 today.

HH~

Hunting Vertebrate Dog Plant Carnivore

121 - 140 of 150 Posts