Trad Talk Forums banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
21Oct 22 Nice frosty this morning. Clear , almost no wind. Was first day in stand that i saw or heard no whitetails. Were not where i was in the river bottom.
Great morning to get my lungs full of cool air and smell the leaf mold starting build with freah leaves piling up on forest floor.

HH~
Camouflage Military camouflage Tree Marines Military person

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Hot here. Finish up last batch of Jerky. Done about 35lbs of raw meat now. Got a decoy spot ready today. Brought decoy in and have it stashed ready to but up when i occupy this stand.
should get back on it Wed-Thur

HH~
Font Cuisine Soil Comfort food Ingredient

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
27 Oct 22
Got after it this morning. Like 30 days in now. Was in my Hackberry stand. Had yotes come in just before shooting lite. Nice morning ENE wind, 32 degrees and clear.

great morning to have a Selfbow in my grip. My buddy arrow one with SB. I go help get him out. Gonna skeedaddle early.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
28 Oct 22

43 degrees, clear. Leaves are mostly down now.
This is my favorite week of whitetail hunting.
had deer all over me since going up tree in dark.

Heard two bucks sparring in dark. Had a 4x3 come by me little bit ago. Good looking deer.
Got him to pose for a photo at 15yds.

HH

Brown Plant Bird Tree Groundcover

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Well, buck i shot at first lite was a tab small than this guy but you dont pass 12yd shots when iceboxes are not topped off.

Buck came by about 0750 right down my lane. He stopped, i line him up and sent the 600grn POC. It took him right in the steam room. He ran up ridge some 60yds and i heard him tip over.

This week we are in is my favorite week of whitetail season. Bucks are not chasing yet and movement is good. Deer were moving on everyside of me in the thick. I was on the inside edge and wind was right. Hrown up old tobacco field.

HH~
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Twig Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Thanks there Mamba. All of the harvests this year were shot there except the 30yd shot. She turned during arrow flight and it was rear rib entry and it drove up to off shoulder. Just as lethal.

Going to get deer outta cooler and skin out. Maybe grind some? Youth weekend so no huntin today.

Number 81 with Selfbow since Oct 1st 2015. Closer to that number for my book.

“Field notes from a Selfbow Hunter”
have lots of pages in draft.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
31 Oct 22

Deer processed and in icebox. Smoker is fired up and jerk meat is in.

Up in a small walnut this morning. Got big hook static osage out with me. Warm, overcast 65 degrees with a South wind. Lets see how the morning progresses. 32 days in the hole!

The Super Static is hanging out.

Follow up:
Had a couple younguns come by early. 0845
I was sitting down for bit and looked to my left over top of a small hill cane thicket and a big bodied buck is standing there. I see he is an old buck with a big scar on his back over shoulders. Has prolly 70” of horn on his left side and a crab claw in the other. He walks right by poking around slow like. I couted coup on the old warrior and watch him walk down the ridge.

HH~

Plant Beard Military camouflage Tree Cap

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
01 Nov 22

sweet November.

Good morning hunt. Warm in 50’s sunny

Had coyotes on me early but it did not stop this buck from coming in. Gave him a few soft doe grunt. Came in to 5yds. He hit a lick branch and freshened up a scrape and went along his way. day 33

HH~

Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal Groundcover Grass

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
03 Nov 22

45 degrees , sime scattered fog. Hunting on ridge paralleling high line.

Got set early as it was going to be 78. 0730 a nice 5x5 comes to 12 yds in thick stuff and hangs up and by passes me. Had a forked horn in two.

0845 a big non typical comes up trail. Catches some wind and hangs up at 20yds. Circles me and gets in back back door shoot window at 18yds. Im looking right east into sun. I hit anchor but could not see impact but i heard it. He runs 30yds and walks off. Hour later i go look at blood and it was a hog butcher scene. He circled about 4-5 times within 50yds. Then , he start following high line in brush. About quart of nice blood on ground. I follow for 300yds still good blood. I back out go back and see if he soit my arrow. He did. About 8” of penetrTion but lots of blood. Will give him the night i dont wanna jump him.

i may have caught him a shade low is my guess. No bile or water blood. Think i only got one lung.
If so he wont make the night. Bring dog in tomorrow.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Spent 6 hours cutting uo about 2 square miles of the property. I have two huge buzzards roosts on it and if he was on it dead there would be a hunnerd birds on him by now. Shot must have been non lethal.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
05 Nov 22

Well, smokepole season opened here today. Have put some orange on. Today however is not huntable. 30 mph winds rain and huge front moving through.

if it clears up bucks will be ripping tonite and in morning.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
06 Nov 22

warm very warm. East winds. Saw red fox two raccoons and the forked horn tjat was with the nice 5x5 a few days ago. He came right under me feeding on anything green he could find.

Open weekend for theML season. Heard a shot right out of a house just above my creek bottom in a neighborhood.Killing deer off their corn feeders from bathroom windows.

Think that was 34 days with selfbow in my grip huntin the hard way.

Good Huntin. White early rut should be upon you.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
07 Nov 22
very warm and cloudy. Bucks were moving early saw a nice one on a doe in a thicket. Couple small one walking about feeding. Got to wRm and i pulled out early.
Will go again Wed morning.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
09 Nov 22

Record warmth or close yo it. Going to move stands today and also move on to a new we just got on to hunt.

The rut is going on at night for most oart in this heat. That will change as we got some freezing temps coming soon.

HH~

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
10 Nov 22
Warm yet again. No winds. Saw about 70-80 turkeys out in the cut beanfield. Deer were out rarly but they all filtered in the underbrush about 0730 and ut got very still.
Had a young doe and a forked horn walk right by me on ground this morning about 0600. They never saw me. Just went poking on by on the oak ridge.

HH~

101 - 120 of 143 Posts