Trad Talk Forums banner
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Friday morning, in the low 50’s. Day 20 in the bush with the Selfbow. Life is good in the fall deer woods.

doe came poking along at 0700 and went up the hill. She come outta the river as its way down. Getting a drink and heading to bed up in shade for a bit.

HH~

Branch Plant Twig Wood Trunk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
17yds, had to shoot directly behind me. Had to kick the bottom plat form to my right as i saw her coming off ridge above me. She was on trail which took her behind me. Gave the bow clearance i needed to make the shot.
100lb doe or so?
There were deer going by me in dark and 1st lite.
The 580grn POC with 190 up front kibab’d her right thru heart. Was light enough to see that yellow shaft spin right into the engine room. I heard her tip over so i got right down as it gonna be warm today.

HH~
Plant Plant community Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Day 21, hunting with a Twin Oaks buddy on farm in a old Osage thicket off beanfield. He just arrow’d a deer. Went out into beans.

Pretty morning. Raccoons in the creek lifing rock lookin for crawfish.

Deer are moving well. About 40 degrees and clear, light winds.
See what day brings. Good to be in the stand.

God blessed us with two fine selfbow whitetails this morning. Had a dog come in on us early. It all worked out as deer were working the edges of beanfield as these are late beans and still way hreen. Fressed these deer then i opened gut. Looked like a green tofu bean dip. Nice fat layer on them. Be good tasting.

Going back in in the morning on other end of farm!

HH~

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Plant Twig Trunk Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Crisp morning, frost and slight wind outta NW.

Small red fox went by at 1st lite. Saw a good buck cruisin bean field edge. Moon was bright last night.
These deer may move a little later than a low illum morning following this moon phase.

Good Hunting

HH~
Sky Plant Branch Shade Natural landscape

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Got docs Appt today and tomorrow.

Need some more 50-55 POC shafts to finish out season. My friend put my OD Green stripes on them. Dyed shafts Osage yella and Brown. 5” shield cut wild turkeys are Ready. My trusty old beaver tail and squirrel hide tab waiting to send Arra’s into fur.

Shoot straight fella’s

HH~

Wood Table Floor Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Day 23
Had a line of thunderstorms last evening. Wind and some heavy rain. First since Sep 10th.
it knocked a lot of the soft leaves off trees. Maples and the like.
I see the beavers have dammed up the creek I'm hunting this morning. They busy as they have done it all in just a few days. They are bank beavers, no houses, just have creek bank holes.

Nothing moving at first light. Cleared off and moon was up late, winds out of NW gonna tick up at sun rise. Woods are pretty quiet.

HH~

Plant Natural landscape Trunk Twig Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I guess its time to tell my bear encounter in the high country.

This was during my hunt in the Centennials during Sept hunt.

we were to hunt a high bench at about 7700 ft. Elk had been feedeing heavily here at this contour line all along this bench. I was to linkup with me hunt Pard at 1300hrs on this bench.
I hunted this elevation but further to the north all morning. No elk.
Well, i knew it would take an hour or so to get to the linkup. So, i went up and over and took a look around the bowl east of the linkup. Nothing seen.
So, i have to switchback my way back up and head west to get on the bench and move back north some. When i got up on bench there was a tiny draw that was open then timber about 100yds down. I moved on high side of draw to timber and saw a nice black bear. Had a tag for my bow or firearm. Bear gun was open at same time as elk bow.
Anyway, the bear moved downwind slowly into the thick blowdowns and regrowth. I knocked an arrow and moved slowly downhill. I was sure this bear winded me and left area. Moved to where i saw him and was surprised to see he was up on a huge deadfall acting strange. I looked around and thought this is strange.
Next, the bear was moving up this dead tree toward me. Thought, wow this is strange, ok if he hets inside 30 yds and gives me a shot i will take it. He keeps coming up tree 25-30 and is now broadside. I draw and shoot. He turns toward a tad when he hears string. The arrow catches him mid body with 20” of penetration. Then, things get wild.
Bear is pouring blood out of right side and jumps off tree and starts running in brush in circles gaining elevation on me. He makes another pass very close and i drop bow a draw my side arm and fire. I was sure i missed in that thick stuff. Bear is now uphill of me and wounded and now i know i cant have a 250-300lb bear above me in that brush wounded as gravity could have on me even if a cleared my weapon on him. He stopped running and was now uphill about 40yds near as i can figger. I holster the pistol and for some reason i get a weird feeling behind me. I turn and scan my rear and see a big chocolate black bear running down hill. At same time i see a fresh dug huge pile of debris with an elk ribcage sticking out of it!
Now i know i have walked into a fresh kill site and this bear is protecting his food source and there is more than one bear on it. I do another quick 360 scan at look uphill and this bear is back up on another huge Dead Doug fir blowdown. I knock another arrow and move to get at least even with the bear. I bear hunted enough to know you never want a bear at close range above you!
I move uphill and to my right while the bear is coming down tree towards me. My arrow is snapped off but he is bleeding a bunch. I turn and square with this bear as he walks down log. He is huffing hard and snapping jaws hard. Coming directly at me now 30, 25, 20yds and stops swaying his head. Still huffing and clicking his jaws. I’m waiting for him to get his head from blocking his chest. One more head sway to his left and im going to put this 600grn two blade in his chest straight on at about 18-20yds.
He moves his head and i release arrow. It smashes into his chest with about 12” of penetration. He spins runs down tree and into the steep of deadfall, regrowth and brush. Bleeding all over that tree.
I immediately move well up slope now and wait. No sign of bear or movement. Now i got to look for him. Drop my bow and have the 1911 in hand. I work my way to where my second arrow hit him and there is blood everywhere. About this time my pard comes down and elk trail from my north and i see him about 50 yds away. Yell, to him “bear” his draws his 44.
We get on blood trail for about 150yds where it suddenly stops not a pin drop. I ask him what gives as he grew up bear hunting and lived in AK for sometime. He says “ you hit a fat fall bear and unless you get a gud lung shot those holes will plug with fat sure as heck”.
We looked that rest of day with no luck and i humped back in with rifle next day. Spent all day without any results. The amount of blood was substantial between both arrows. He was sure he was dead and was going to back in there after first good snow and see if bears, yotes or wolves would reveal where he tipped over.
With both broadheads still in him i was purty sure he is on that big mountainside somewhere.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Day 27

Freezing this morning. Hard frost should be good. Wind will blow hard so itll be a quick morning hunt.
So lots of deer yesterday in morning sit. Deer moving very well.

Follow up:
Saw 15-20 deer all doe yet again. To many of them on my place.
0800 NW 10-15mph, this doe and a 1.5yr old doe came in. She boogered in wind a bit came in went out and tried to circle 23-25yds out then stopped for nose check. Made a nice shot and watch arrow go thru her up to the fletching right in the engine room. I climbed the 18ft down as i saw the hit was lethal.
She went 40yds is all. Day 27 was a goodun. That was the 80th deer killed since October 1st 2015 for this Selfbow Hunter.

HH~

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Fawn Wood

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Took a break today. Get after these soybean eaters tomorrow. Since our beans are only ones lwft for 20 miles they are hammering them into the dirt.

we putting six bow hunters out tomorrow thru Sunday to get some more these doe outta here. We got the stands, might as well get er dun.

HH~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Old Lop eared Doe. She tried to bust me in tree, knew I was somewhere near. Two blade Magnus II with a 100grn woody weight under it had great penetration at that range. She hanging at farm.

Headed out in morning to side hill that was old grown up tobacco fileds. Has like three terraces with old walls and bucks love to scrape and rub those old terraces. Dropped a stand up there other day. SW wind in morning will be great for the stand.

Good Hunting
HH~

Plant Working animal Hat Wood Fawn

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hedge just opened this post,haven't read all of it but enjoyed following along with you.
Thats a big doe she looks like a momma.
You are lucky to have so many deer to see.
Enjoy the season and be careful in those trees.

81 - 100 of 150 Posts