Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying out a plunger and elevated rest for hunting season. It's a WF19 riser and new Dryad RCTX limbs. The problem is I can't seem to get the twang noise out of the rest. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are you sure it's the rest...what type is it? Sometimes folks get a little noise from the limb detent springs and remove them. easy to try and see if it helps. I've always favored the NAP Centerest for an elevated rest on a hunting rig. Just about any type can be quieted with felt, moleskin, heat shrink tubing, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a spig zero tolerance and an Infitec Nexus plunger. I've shot the bow primarily from the shelf with a fixed side plate, no lould click with that setup.

·
Spearhead
3,511 Posts
Check behind the wire to see if the arm is contacting the riser.
When I use a flipper one of the first things I do is put a spot of Velcro where the wire contacts the riser.
That will cause a click and protects the riser from the wire scratching the riser.

Chad

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
Did you retune your setup after switching to the rest and plunger? You could have arrow contact now with the same arrow that worked before.

Could also be the plunger and noise coming from the spring. You might try taking the spring out of your plunger and replacing it with a small stick (i.e., matchstick) so that the plunger doesn’t move during the shot.

Something else to watch for is the wire arm hitting the riser, but I usually see a mark where that happens.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
The ZT rest, while it certainly can be quieted down, would not be my choice for hunting. I've used the same rest for 3D and with judicious use of moleskin was able to address the noise issue to some degree. However, that long wire arm is easily damaged under field conditions. Take a look at the stick-on NAP Flipper II. Simple, fairy bombproof, quiet, and under $10.

·
Super Moderator
775 Posts
Ditto, I think NAP makes the best recurve hunting rests. The stick-on Flipper II rest is just about perfect for a flipper rest if you want to use a plunger. The only problem is that not all risers have enough space under the plunger hole to fit them. For non-plunger rests, the Centerest and Centerest Flipper are the best, although the latter requires risers to be cut more past center than normal.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Flipper 2 never wears out on my BB warf after thousands of shots and years of use. I used to hunt with a springy till my arrow popped off on an elk hunt.

·
Spearhead
3,511 Posts
Springy is a great rest.
Sam by chance in the heat of the moment did you torqued the string causing the arrow to come off the rest. Or was it an older GKF springy they were straight arm springs if memory serves me right.

Chad

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I did all of my hunting and practice shooting with NAP Center Rest Flippers for many years. NEVER had a problems with them - they are utterly simple, rugged, and quiet. The little side plates have just enough give to act as an effective cushion plunger - despite an extensive go at getting better arrow flight with adjustable plungers, the little Center Rest Flipper always shot just as well or better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts