Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Got back from ETAR at Denton Hill. Had a great time and bought another Ron Foley long bow. I brought some footed carbons for those for those "rare" rock hits. I notice I tend to shoot the footed arrows a little more accurately. I'm assume the footed shaft enables me to "see" the tip of the arrow with secondary vision when shooting. I've always shot broadheads better probably for the same reason. I've never hunted with a footed carbon. Wondering if anybody hunts with them and are there any up or down side to them.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I hunt with redline 520 with about 5/8" AL shaft on then all the time. I also use 70 mm kurley vanes. Ya can see pic of the shaft on the "40 # distance" thread.

Don't know if it effects the accuracy but it sure does not hurt it.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I and my wife hunt with either Axis or Beman MFX shafts that are footed. The footing is really a damage control kind of thing and neither adds to or takes away from anything having to do with hunting. They do not impede penetration at all and if anything they add strength at the point end which is a good thing if you hit any type of bone. My avatar is of a moose i shot. The arrow hit the "knuckle" that covers the heart and busted it all up, continued on thru the heart and took a big chunck out of a rib before hitting the offside leg bone and working itself out as the moose took its first step after the shot. The moose took 3 steps and went down and the arrow was not affected at all by all the hard hitting it did. I believe that if the shaft had not been footed I may have had a different result and a long trail to follow. Footings are good...nothing bad about them in my book.:)

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I have used footed axis nano n-fused, 1916 x 1+1/4", for strength (makes an incredibly strong arrow) for some time and when I enquired if I could use them for field/3d comps, was promptly told NO as the footing could be used as an aiming aid. So I now have an unfooted set for comps ! cheers Pete.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'll be using footed carbons for everything very soon. They have have departed UPS and they are on the way to my front door as we speak! Just sucks I have to leave for work about 15 minutes after UPS gets here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wouldn't they cause extra wear and tear on 3-D targets like field points that are a larger diameter than the shaft?...Van

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Van - I thought ware and tare on the 3D targets was the goal :). Dang I just hate it when I miss one.......of course than I am glade I got my arrow footed.....is that a catch 22?

rusty

·
Spearhead
3,664 Posts
Rusty yes thats a catch 22:)

Van, if you taper the back of the footing with a bullet reaming tool they will not wear block, 3D targets. Bag targets you have to be careful when pulling but not to bad.

I also shoot footed axis 500 shafts with a 1916 w/ 1.5" footing, very durable arrow, just an opinion but think the HIT insert is a weak point on the axis shaft but love them otherwise. yeah if I didn't miss then it wouldn't be a weak point :waaah:
use them for hunting, 3D and spots

·
Registered
414 Posts
Coodster, that makes sense. Wonder how many do that though.

Rusty, I hear ya ;-)...Van

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've been footing carbons for years. It kinda just felt like the right thing to do. I just took some emery cloth and smoothed over the front for the smoother "transition" but the reaming tool is a good idea Coodster! :)

Tom

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Place the footing/shaft piece in a cordless drill, turn it on then hold a fine/med file to it so as to grind a ramp or tapper then glue onto tip end of arrow with ramp to the fletched end. I always lightly sand outside of carbon shaft and use a chainsaw file to "rough" up the inside of footing and clean both surfaces with metholated spirit, glue with 2 pack epoxie, lightly put the dried/finished end to a grinding wheel to square of, so far none have sheared off and none have been damaged. Cheers Pete.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,574 Posts
I've been using a footing on my MFX/Axis shafts for several years now, but I'm going to try something different. Easton makes a BAR (broadhead adapter ring) that fits over the end of the shaft. It is tapered making extraction easier. I think it will protect the shaft forward of the insert. Unlike longer footings, the BAR is less likely to contact the shelf at full draw.

Took a picture of them today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use 2018 over my MFX arrows and like the technique that aroadik advises just above. I love this setup and it makes your arrows bomb proof until you loose one!!! Arrrrrggggggg!

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Bonecracker,Yeh, I have not come up with a "loose" proof arrow yet,whoever does will make a fortune! Cheers Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts