Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in looking into string walking for my target game, but being a hunter first and target archer second, I've struggled with taking it any further other than playing around in my back yard with it.

My main concern would be having to take my eye of my intended game animal target while in the field to find my crawl and execute the draw sequence. I dabbled with a fixed 20 yard crawl, and the results are great in hunting situations around 20 yards. Then you have to gap from there.

However, why not try to come up with a way to get maximum accuracy in the field yet not have to take your eye off your target to set your crawl? So this is what I came up with. Based on a modified Cavelier Elite tab platform.

I work in a manufacturing environment, so I am thinking about making a couple of these to try out. This would be pretty simple to make out of some scrap material and some off the shelf machine screw hardware.

Give me your input on some tweaks that you'd make to the rough design. I'd like to make a few of these, get them into some hands of some hardcore stringwalking hunters, and see what we come up with in the end...

Green Plate is the assembly plate used to screw into to keep the sandwhich together.

Purple is the tab face material. Cordovan preferably.

Red plate is similiar to the cavalier elite face plate. Made from aluminum.

Silver fasteners are flat head machine screws to hold the assembly together.

Gold fasteners are the meat and potatoes of this design. They are able to be placed anywhere vertically in the series of tapped holes to position your crawls. As your target is walking down the trail, you can feel your gold fasteners, make your crawl, execute your shot.

Let me know what you think!

Matt

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Generally the machine screws go in the opposite side of the tab to hold the face on.

I like the idea a lot!

-Grant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, why not marking your string instead of tinkering the tab. Without looking, I think the best way for SW would be to tie little knots to mark your crawls, so small that you can't see it but you should be able too feel them with your tab edge walking down the string.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Neet idea, I think it will work well for you. However when I hunt I always have plenty of time to get set up. For what it's worth 95% of the deer Ive shot have been under 20 yards and the farther away they are the more time you have to look at where your crawl is on the string.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I think that the raised screws while easy to locate might make it awkward to transfer your crawl to the string.

Have you thought about just filing notches in the plate? They would be easy to locate with your thumb nail and the transfer would be seamless.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I shoot with a corner of the mouth anchor, and whenever I stringwalk with any kind of metal plate, I always end up bruising my lip. I've got to the point now that I only dare use leather. I don't know why this is, I know a lot of people use the A&F metal plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.