Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With traditional archery hunting it seems most use some kind of cut on contact two or three bladed head, I was wondering why some of the common heads that are used on compounds not popular? I assume it鈥檚 because of the relatively low power of many recurves compared to compounds and the cut on contact does a better job with traditional archery bows, or maybe just a more traditional broadhead.

Registered
I'm not going to pretend I know the answer ro this one, but I would assume it has to do with the CoC heads don't rob as much energy from the arrow during penetration as something like the mechanical heads would. So, I'm subbed, I want to know the answer, too.

Spearhead
I have and do use many types of broadheads.
NOT MECHANICAL
I have used muzzy and nap thunderheads with my hunting recurves. With the Trocar tip I sharpen the point getting it very sharp making it a cut on contact.
I鈥檓 not opposed to a cut on contact, I use many styles and types of broadheads.

Chad

Registered
I always wondered the same thing. I think a lot has to do with the perception that most of the compound heads won't penetrate well from the slow traditional setup.

Registered
I was just reading another current thread about the wasp sharpshooter and while this is a coc head it realy resembles a typical compound head with its small size and narrow cut. It鈥檚 a tiny broadhead if you ever held one. Like a slick trick viper trick. So overall size may also play into why compound heads are not very popular with traditional shooters. They just don鈥檛 look that impressive sitting next to a stinger or zwickey delta or similar head. Obviously they will do the job but I think most of us feel more blade within reason is better. I tend to agree with that. Confidence is everything.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been a fan of Magnus Singer heads, they always seem to fly great out of a tuned bow. They are easy to sharpen and stay sharp, has good penetration, and usually drops a lot of blood.

Registered
My late father used standard Muzzy three blade heads will good success.

He shot a 47 pound recurve, an Easton 1916 arrow and a 125 grain head.

The inventor of Muzzy Broadheads, the late John Musaccia was a recurve and longbow shooter and stacked up big game animals all over the world using his three blade head.

His son in law Fred Eichler shot the archery big game grand slam using the standard three blade Muzzy broadhead and a recurve bow.

Registered
Before I switched to traditional. I played with lots of heads. Towards the end of it all I picked up a pack of 2 blade stingers. 1st deer I ever shot that did not know it was hit, resulting in a really short recovery. In turn helping change my ideals as far as my hunting goes.
Switched to german kinetics and experienced similar results.
So now shooting less efficient equipment. I naturally gravitate towards that style head. I love playing with broadheads as my other hobby is sharpening.

Registered
I believe that the mechanical broadhead was successful due to tuning issues with compounds. Guys were getting into the compound speed craze, but didn't have the tools/resources to tune a fixed head at high speed over long distance shots.

Registered
I think you pretty well named it, Tracker.
Too much of it is about "what we hear". Rumors. Stories. Opinions. More often than not without real life experiences. Sometimes it's tuning. Sometimes it "power". Sometimes it's just negative thinking, IMO.

A LOT of the heads ARE NOT great for traditional equipment (see? opinion LOL) .....unless you are shooting heavy draw weights AND heavy arrows.

The heavier the setup the less the head's mechanical ability to penetrate, by design, is a disadvantage. It STILL doesn't penetrate AS WELL as another......but the hunter's setup over power's that and it penetrates "enough". Mission accomplished.
The laws of physics apply and are irrefutable......regardless of the choice of bow.

That said, there is also a lot of heads, many mentioned above, that work just fine, even with lower draw weight bows and medium weight arrows.
We must keep in mind what our set up is delivering though. We all are all just automatically doing so. Here, we're just pointing it out.

Unfortunately, "stories" that we hear about or see online about "not being very good for traditional equipment" create doubts, rightfully so or not. Those doubts can easily effect what we choose and we will play it safe and pick out the "safe" ones, more often than not, or so it seems.

You are right that what we hear could be, in many cases, a bunch of BS, LOL.

Perhaps the old adage applies: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." LOL

Each takes a look at head design, some listen to other people's stories , and opinions, and make a choice. Some switch a lot, looking for "something better". Again.....they have that choice. I'm not going to say I understand it because I do not. If something works.....it works. Better? Better than "it works"?

I know I'm guilty of it myself on rare occasions. I've shot basically two heads for many decades. They work. They do not let me down, ever..........yet......I sometimes see others, and scratching my chin, I think:

"Hmmm. I kinda like that."

Will it do anything than those I've shot for years do?. Nope.
Were they made strictly for trad hunting? Nope
Will I buy some anyway? Who knows!
DANG........things got expensive.

I did order three more Eskimo heads though. $17.50.
I couldn't stand it. 馃槈
God Bless
Good Thread!
Geezer

Registered
Shoot a heavy sharp two blade. You dont need to find out why three blade heads on 40lb trad bows are not a good idea. They may seem ok until a big mature 270lb whitetail gets within 25yds and yer three blade goes in 4鈥.

HH~

Registered
I would think you had the right idea initially. I don't use compound (personal preference/challenge), but I have done a good bit of research before I landed on the Iron Will 2 blade, single bevel heads. IMHO, the much higher velocity of compounds puts more oomph behind the arrows, so technically they don't have to be as "sharp" as CoC heads because they have the added force to drive them deeper. The trade off with CoC heads is that with a thinner edge geometry and typically thinner build lends to cutting better but takes away from the resilience. A CoC will typically be much less effective against bone and more likely damaged upon hard impact (i.e. shoulder blade hit). Conversely, the non-CoC heads tend to be more robust and can punch through the harder stuff with less chance of head damage. The balance that makes sense for me is a non-CoC, more robust head and then you can hand sharpen to a razors edge to simulate the CoC, finding the best of both worlds.

Registered
Ive had the advantage of seeing hundreds of critters shot with an arrows- BHs of all types.

Compounds have energy to burn鈥.so any BH works pretty good.

When you shoot low energy LBs and recurves鈥hats when you see the difference in BH designs. The very efficient 2 and tapered 3 blade designs slide in effortlessly. They turn a low energy setup into a penetrating monster.

The short chisel point heads chop their way in with the flatter blade angle. The wider and shorter it is鈥ess slipping in鈥ore chopping in with a lot of Hair, Hide and Bone contact. More energy required for sure鈥ut also the H,H and B contact dulls blades. Ive seen tufts of chopped hair at those shot sights鈥nd we all know what hair does to the bevel of a knife.

The mech heads vary on energy needed鈥ith the over the top being the worst when it comes to expending energy ( plus that chopping!)

Its incredible how effective my 47# recurve 553g arrow with a 2 blade is. 10 of 12 critters in the last 2 yrs or so were passthrus- inc an 800# moose. Arrow weight and perfect arrow flight are huge factors鈥ut compound guys are always shocked when they see what these trad bows can do.

Sure, more bow weight and more arrow weight is a positive for arrow penetration鈥ut those efficient BHs are a game changer!

I gave up on trying to draw a CO bull tag鈥eres my DIY CO cow moose鈥.shot right at dark, then she tumbled into this ice cold creek.

Plant Camouflage Hunting Military camouflage Cargo pants

Premium Member
Taken a bunch of Deer with big razor sharp Zwickeys. Deadly, knocks the air out of em with massive red juice on the ground. Be tuned, be sharp.

Registered
The broadheads in my recurve quiver are two blade stingers, two blade German Jagers, Montec M3 and standard Muzzy/s. All three of these heads have worked on Texas pigs and whitetail deer here in MN. The heaviest bow I shoot is 47 pounds.

Registered
With traditional archery hunting it seems most use some kind of cut on contact two or three bladed head, I was wondering why some of the common heads that are used on compounds not popular? I assume it鈥檚 because of the relatively low power of many recurves compared to compounds and the cut on contact does a better job with traditional archery bows, or maybe just a more traditional broadhead.
Seems to me like trad arrow setups are more like spears than arrows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts