Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Spearhead
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dreaded topic of hunting boots and the sad day my loved boots gave out.
The soles actually split.

My boots are 17-18 years old, fit great and comfortable, literally walked hundreds and hundreds of miles in them, they are danner pronghorns older style, in fact purchased these at a discount because they changed styles.
I'm sure they have at least changed styles a few times in the last 17-18 years.

So my question anyone have newer pronghorn boots? How are they?

If not danner boots what's your boot of choice?
Been liking merrill hiking boots.
So take a chance on new boots or take a chance on new model of a boot I have time, sweat, comfort with?

my danner work boots was comfortable but leaked within 3 weeks, not just one pair but 4 pair leaked. So have they went down in quality over the years?

Thanks

Chad

· Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Chad, I'm there with you, my old Danners are maybe 14-15 years old, might be pronghorns.........good stuff.....sorry yours are broken.
Mine, still good, but I bought a good pair of Red Wing boots 2-3 years ago, and they seem real good, too......so now I'm wearing both, alternating them some.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
I had two sets of Danners that lasted me probably 20 years. I was going to buy some Pronghorns, but heard a bad report.

Forked out some money for some custom made Russells. Best boots I've ever had. The only criticism is the Airbob soles (best soles made for traction not durability) are not as durable as the Danners.

For my last hunt I bought some light weight Meindl Revolutions. I wanted something light for hot weather. They were excellent. BUT will they last the test of time?????????????

Bowmania

· Registered
6,458 Posts
I have newer danners after reading lots of bad reviews since they went overseas. I like them, but the leather on the inside of the ankle area squeaks on tree steps. If you like yours, why not talk to a local shoe smith or whatever they are called and get new soles put on?

· Registered
329 Posts
Salomon Quest 4D
Good support, good grip on wet terrain especially rocks, lightweight, temporarily waterproof like all "waterproof" boots.

Don't pay list price.
Frequently sales on REI or Sierra Trading Post. STP is a good place to look for any boots epecially with the never ending coupon codes.

· Registered
351 Posts
I went with a pair of Solomon hiking boots for my trip last year because they were super light and gave amazing support. We were doing upwards of 15 miles a day. I am not going to expect them to last like danner boots but they sure as hell didn't need to be broken in like them either. I'm comparing to my danner quarry work boots. I've only got about a hundred hunting miles on the solomons. Happy and dry so far.

· Registered
405 Posts
Just bought a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter Trail Blazers, last pair of Setters lasted 21yrs with a resole. Since I live where they make them the factory outlet store carries some good buys on flaws. Was debating going with their lite weight boot but prefer a resole boot, but I have several different boots for the climate I am in, wet, cold, snow and down right cold; if my feet get cold I am done.

· Bart Harmeling
3,764 Posts
I wore Danners back in the 80's and 90's. Hunted with them in Alaska, and Australia. Great boots except the gortex didn't do its job. Walking through wet vegetation meant wet feet. Tried several boots including Merrill, Bean, Schnees, but none combined good walking support with truly waterproof performance. 11 months ago I purchased a pair of Keen Liberty Ridge boots so I haven't owned these for long. They are very comfortable and hold up well in rough terrain. I've hunted with these on Lanai in warm dusty conditions and in Alaska where they have been tested walking through wet vegetation. So far I am pleased. Comfortable and they keep my feet dry. This model is made in the USA.

· Spearhead
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies, We do have a place for boot repairs, I'm going to check that out if it's feasible and still find another pair of boots.
I hate trying new boots they feel great and shiny and new in the store, you don't know what they are like till you have miles on them.

Chad

· Registered
4,204 Posts
I won't buy boots (again) without trying them on in a store. Some just never fit right!

Each boot company builds their boots on a 'last' - a model of the 'typical' foot. Since each company uses a different last, fit and feel vary. A great boot might be built on a last that isn't compatible with your feet.

I went to a big outdoor store a few years back and tried every boot they had. My feet hated them all! Went to another store to buy some ammo, and just for curiosity I walked through the shoe/boot section. Hmm, sale item. Tried them on and my feet said 'Buy these!'

Cheaper than some other brands, and they work for me. Great quality? No, but they fit me.

I bought a second pair, same company but slightly different model, a year later. Love 'em.

Bottom line is, what works for you may not be 'the best' for everyone else.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Dana C, has a really good point. I had a friend by boots that I thought were the greatest. He couldn't wear 'em. Foot width/brand has a lot to do with fit. I have a narrow foot and like Danners. My hunting buddy has a fat everything and can't wear Danners.

Bowmania

· Registered
553 Posts
I gave up on Danners the last couple pairs I owned developed a squeak in the heal area. Made them useless for bowhunting. My last 3 pairs of boots have been the Cabela's lightweight stalkers. They are excellent for $100 boots. They are lightweight, tough, comfortable and waterproof (for the first couple seasons then they will leak a little). I usually get 3-4 years out of them. I am very hard on boots chasing elk in rocky terrain and these have held up very well.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
What Dana said is probably why I've never bought Danners or Nikes. Too narrow for me.
For work boots I've been in the Timberland Pros for years. Columbias also fit me well usually.

· The Mad Scientist
1,505 Posts
Well just got back from Colorado, another big zero on elk. Anyway 2 weeks before I left I went to use my well worn Pronghorns (gen 2 I think) and discovered they had a hard spot where one didn't exist before. Boot repair guy couldn't fix them so I went to cabelas and picked up a pair of the new Pronghorns. Love them for the price. The toe area is now wider, previously I wore a size 8W, these are regular 8.5. Lots more room in the toe box then previous versions. Also they broke in very quickly, which was nice since I had them exactly one week before I left.

· Registered
2 Posts
The dreaded topic of hunting boots and the sad day my loved boots gave out.
The soles actually split.

My boots are 17-18 years old, fit great and comfortable, literally walked hundreds and hundreds of miles in them, they are danner pronghorns older style, in fact purchased these at a discount because they changed styles.
I'm sure they have at least changed styles a few times in the last 17-18 years.

So my question anyone have newer pronghorn boots? How are they?

If not danner boots what's your boot of choice?
Been liking merrill hiking boots.
So take a chance on new boots or take a chance on new model of a boot I have time, sweat, comfort with?

my danner work boots was comfortable but leaked within 3 weeks, not just one pair but 4 pair leaked. So have they went down in quality over the years with Complete ultimate boots by spyboots?

Thanks

Chad
Hello. new here. So I recently bought a new pair of tall leather riding boots! They are my first pair of "proper" ones and they really hurt behind the knee when I bend it, are they too long or do you think they will be ok as it generally says it drops 1cm-3cm?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts