Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
With no warm up shooting.
3 broadhead arrows all within 4 inches at 10 yards.
3 again at 20 all within 6 inches.
Three under look right down the arrow tip and gap the tip at target.
I anchor middle finger in corner of mouth on eyetooth.
Bow is tuned with tip right on at 20 yds.
Deadly accuracy is all 3 within 4 inches at 20 or better, 6 inches at 30.

Registered
I have a white spot painted on my target the size of a deer heart. At 20 yards I want all four arrows in that spot. I ended up using my compound this year as it will shoot all four through the center of that spot at 20 yards. Just not at that level with my recurve yet, and figure I owe it to the animal to be as accurate as possible at that range.

Registered
I shoot gap-stinctive.

I hold my effective shot distance to where I can hit a 6鈥 circle everytime.

Worth noting, Im pretty accurate at close to my PO distance鈥ometimes even better than at middling distances.

Registered
This thread makes me feel better about my hunting groups. Depends if we're talking about elevation or lateral groups, I want my groups to be within a 6" wide and 4" tall target space at 20 yards. But on a target the size of a deer where your kill zone is larger than a basketball it's all about your ability to pick a spot on a blank target so what you score on concentric rings wont mean much if you can't pick a spot.

Registered
I know that answer when I shoot. Took some long shots that if I'd known the distance I wouldn't have shot, but they were kill shots. It's not just your capabilities, but what kind of animal and what it's doing.

I'm a gapper of course.

Bowmania

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread makes me feel better about my hunting groups. Depends if we're talking about elevation or lateral groups, I want my groups to be within a 6" wide and 4" tall target space at 20 yards. But on a target the size of a deer where your kill zone is larger than a basketball it's all about your ability to pick a spot on a blank target so what you score on concentric rings wont mean much if you can't pick a spot.
That鈥檚 what I found shooting foam, with no spots to pick out and no sights grouping is challenging on a foam deer.

Premium Member
If there ever is a proficiency test to hunt with a Bow (Hope there never is) most of the shooting method arguments would likely diminish because; Compounds and Crossbows for hunting would soon knock out 40-50 % percent of Trad hunters.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If there ever is a proficiency test to hunt with a Bow (Hope there never is) most of the shooting method arguments would likely diminish because; Compounds and Crossbows for hunting would soon knock out 40-50 % percent of Trad hunters.
It was common in Ohio that you have to meet a certain requirement to hunt urban deer in the parks, most were five shots into an eight inch circle at 20 yards. This was done to sell the hunts to the public.

Registered
I shoot gap-stinctive.

I hold my effective shot distance to where I can hit a 6鈥 circle everytime.

Worth noting, Im pretty accurate at close to my PO distance鈥ometimes even better than at middling distances.
Same here. It's the 5-15m, esp downhill or up, that I need to maintain upkeep, esp with arrow weight less than 10GPP. I also experience confidence increasing shooting instinctive gap out to point on. But small form errors have more impact on groups out that far, so I don't hunt my point on unless very dialed in and practiced.

What matters though at any distance are the first 3 cold shots, no warmup. They have to be 'on'. It doesn't matter how much I tighten my groups up in the course of a session after that as those arrows are irrelevant in a hunting situation.

1-3 arrow rounds are good practice for this reason.

Registered
it's all about your ability to pick a spot on a blank target
Find this aspect tough. Earlier this year had a clear uphill shot, ~25m when I paced it later, on a large black billy goat. It was so evenly black it looked like a hole against the backdrop. No features on coat, nada. I could not pick a spot, tried to project one, failed to, and missed just low.

I group well within 6" at 25m, in normal conditions.

Lesson learned. Should not have taken that shot. Work to do on the blank bale imagining a spot and hitting it.

Registered
Find this aspect tough. Earlier this year had a clear uphill shot, ~25m when I paced it later, on a large black billy goat. It was so evenly black it looked like a hole against the backdrop. No features on coat, nada. I could not pick a spot, tried to project one, failed to, and missed just low.

I group well within 6" at 25m, in normal conditions.

Lesson learned. Should not have taken that shot. Work to do on the blank bale imagining a spot and hitting it.
I find what helped me is before I draw on the blank target I put the arrow where I want it before I draw. For a deer I find the shoulder than just tell myself I want to hit behind it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts