Trad Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The limbs have hand crafted shims under the limb butts, to even the tiller and reduce the draw weight. The bottom limb bolt bushing looks modified. Replaced the Hoyt Pro rest, installed nock sets and she is good to go. It even came with a plunger (never used one).
>>>=======>

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
You'll probably want a Hoyt TRACKER 19" riser in the mix too.
I have one warfed to ILF and it's great.
I'd like to find another original one and slot it similar to TD-3 for thumbscrews/DAS.
you have a great collection there.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
You'll probably want a Hoyt TRACKER 19" riser in the mix too.
I have one warfed to ILF and it's great.
I'd like to find another original one and slot it similar to TD-3 for thumbscrews/DAS.
you have a great collection there.
I'll keep an eye out for a Tracker. My favorites are the T/D3-H24-L and T/D3-H20-L.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think my last Hoyt was a 70 or 71, I went to a Black Widow after that. If I remember correctly that was also the year that my Pearson Lord Mercury blew up, with three out board mercury stabilizers and the two in the riser, that was one terribly heavy bow.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I think my last Hoyt was a 70 or 71, I went to a Black Widow after that. If I remember correctly that was also the year that my Pearson Lord Mercury blew up, with three out board mercury stabilizers and the two in the riser, that was one terribly heavy bow.
I'd like to find a left handed 68" Black Widow model 3000 . A guy shot with one at the OATA (Ohio society of traditional archers) shoots last year. It was the only one I've ever seen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was a right hand target shooter. My last Black Widow was the aluminum riser, my first one was rosewood. it all brings back the memories of those blue and white indoor 300s. I would get to 270, 275 or 280 and have a complete melt down. Never once got a 300. All these years later, it still pisses me off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice addition Chris, have always liked Earl's designs.

I've told this before but.. I met Earl at the Missouri state championships. They put a bow up as 1st prize in the Traditional championship shoot which was on Saturday, Ann was shooting in it that year. He told a story about developing his limb, think it was number 52 that they settled on. It then became the most copied limb in the industry. He didn't seem upset about that at all.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
My cousin Ray used to shoot regularly in a group with Earl in the St. Charles / St. Louis ranges......Ann liked Ray - friendly is all - and it blew Earl up a little bit when she was nice to Ray....Ray got a bang out of it, naturally......Ann handed Ray a paper sack once with a set of limbs in it like for a ProMedalist.....plain jane un-finished bare wood limbs...Ray gave them to me.....I sealed them & painted them white, I still have them.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
1972 Hoyt T/D ? riser with win win long limbs DAS convention. 36# @ 31” 69” bow. Bear weather rest, BCY-X 16 strand string. Shooting 32” 600’s Black Eagle Outlaw arrows, tipped with tophat 100gn points. 1/16” negative tiler. Face walking three finger/split out to 80 yards. One of the best shooting bows I’ve ever owned. Awesome addition to my collection. Thanks to the Archery hall of fame. >>>========>

·
Super Moderator
2,647 Posts
For those not familiar, those target take-downs dominated target archery including the Olympics in the 1970s as the one piece ones did in the 1960s. That limb profile with the fairly big hooks did the trick and is still used in most target bows today - a great contribution to archery. They are the still the sweetest shooting limbs I have used and they produce arrow speeds close to the costly modern foam and carbon ones of today. I still use mine if I am not shooting a longbow. Very great bows. - lbg

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Right on Longbowguy. Great old bows, still.
Here's an odd one I had. Hoyt TD-3 H24, marked as it should be on riser grip frame. No tiller bolts. Used an odd tiller system from within the "towers" on the hooded covers with a plunger that screwed in or out putting pressure on a metal pad on the limb, and notice the half-notch instead of a full notch at limb butt. also note limbs have rockers unlike the earlier flat&squared-butt Pro Medalist limbs. Fully meant for tillering adjustments.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I added some hockey stick tape to the handle and a new string. Will post some pictures of the limb pockets later.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice collection OhioChris.

Anybody know how much Hoyt TD risers are going for these days? I think I might have 10 or 12 to part with.

Not limbs just the risers, bolts and grips.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts