Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place?...

I've been a compound shooter for a few years now, but I've always fancied a takedown recurve, even before I started shooting compound. I finally gave in and decided to splash out on my first trad bow, I opted for a Hoyt Satori, 19" riser with medium maple limbs for a 62" AMO bow. I figured this combination would be suitable for my 27.5-28" draw length.

Unfortunately the dealer got my order wrong and sent me the 17" riser, so I had to send it back, and now I'm waiting on the replacement. So it'll be another week to two week wait before I can get it all going (bugger)

Just thought I would put all this out there and see what wisdom the more experienced guys have to offer? I'm thinking of starting with around an 8" brace height, or would someone with a satori recommend going higher? I did hear that they like a high brace height to quite it down, I guess this is a good thing as well, considering a higher brace height makes for a more forgiving bow?

Has anyone got some satori limbs that they are willing to post pictures off? Mine have some weird markings on them, I'm just curious if this is normal, or if it's worth having the limbs replaced. I've attached some pictures for you guys.

Many thanks in advance - Adam

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
I think you started out with a solid bow, can’t distinguish with the pictures, is the reinforced tip lifting or just thicker. If the tip is lifting 100% defiantly return the limbs.
have fun and enjoy your journey

Chad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Coodster,

The reinforced tip is just thicker, definitely not lifting. I was actually referring to the lines and dimples on the tips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That was what I started with. Fantastic for shooting off the shelf. I would just go off what they suggest for brace height then adjust as or if needed for tune when the day comes you get there. I ran mine at 8 1/4. Worked for me

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear they shoot well off the shelf, as this is how I plan to use it. I figured with the radiused shelf and strike plate that it ought to work well. Did you swap the velcro shelf material out? I did hear a few guys saying it's the "devil" when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear they shoot well off the shelf, as this is how I plan to use it. I figured with the radiused shelf and strike plate that it ought to work well. Did you swap the velcro shelf material out? I did hear a few guys saying it's the "devil" when it comes to tuning.
I would take it out of the box and prompted put it in the trash where it belongs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahaha, calf hair it is then! I do leatherwork as well, so fortunately I have some on hand. Did you see my pics of the limb tips? Having owned a satori yourself is it normal?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to TradTalk. :) There seems to be some lifting / delamination of the black tip reinforcement area shown on your first pic. I am not familiar with these limbs but that looks like a quality control issue to me unless that's some kind of optical illusion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice first bow choice. But that tip doesn't look finished to me. You would think they would have sanded it smooth . It also looks like it is lifting on the edge. If it's not and thicker on one side then it's still not right. I would send them back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to TradTalk. :) There seems to be some lifting / delamination of the black tip reinforcement area shown on your first pic. I am not familiar with these limbs but that looks like a quality control issue to me unless that's some kind of optical illusion.
It's actually a bit of an optical illusion. I'm just concerned that the lines and dimples shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice first bow choice. But that tip doesn't look finished to me. You would think they would have sanded it smooth . It also looks like it is lifting on the edge. If it's not and thicker on one side then it's still not right. I would send them back.
I would agree Randy, it doesn't look finished. I've sent some pictures to Hoyt so with a bit of luck they'll get back in touch. hopefully someone with some satori limbs will stumble across this and be able to help out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Hoyt Satori is the only metal ILF riser designed primarily for shooting off the shelf in mind, and you won't find any other metal riser that can compete against it for that purpose.

I think it was a rug rest that used to get sent with the complete bow. So if you got a velcro padding instead, they must have "fixed" the issue.

Enjoy your new bow!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Hoyt Satori is the only metal ILF riser designed primarily for shooting off the shelf in mind, and you won't find any other metal riser that can compete against it for that purpose.
Latest generation DAS risers are also designed for shooting off the shelf.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice riser. You'll also have lots of limb choices for future use. What draw weight are the limbs you have now?
I went for 50lbs. I plan to use it primarily for hunting, and 50lbs is the minimum legal draw weight for Sambar deer Australia. Which is probably overkill, considering you can use 50lbs to hunt elk, moose and bear in the USA, which are all bigger and tougher than Sambar.

I currently shoot 60-70lbs on my compound, so 50lbs should still be manageable, if I find it's too much weight I can always pick up some inexpensive or second hand limbs, that's the beauty of ILF. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think it was a rug rest that used to get sent with the complete bow. So if you got a velcro padding instead, they must have "fixed" the issue.

Enjoy your new bow!
Okay, it might well be rug rest, as a new guy I just assumed it was fluffy velcro? My replacement riser is on it's way, so I'll have a proper look at it when it arrives and try to work out what it is. Do you think fluffy velcro is okay to use? Or is it still worth swapping the shelf material for calf hair or leather?

·
Fair Chase!
230 Posts
I went for 50lbs. I plan to use it primarily for hunting, and 50lbs is the minimum legal draw weight for Sambar deer Australia. Which is probably overkill, considering you can use 50lbs to hunt elk, moose and bear in the USA, which are all bigger and tougher than Sambar.

I currently shoot 60-70lbs on my compound, so 50lbs should still be manageable, if I find it's too much weight I can always pick up some inexpensive or second hand limbs, that's the beauty of ILF. :)
Welcome to the world of amazing challenge, and a great forum.
The Satori is solid and ILF gives you a well of choices. My first bow was a Hoyt Tiburon, unfortunately also 50#.
Long story short, heavily over bowed I spent my first two years building all the bad habits in the book, and am still eight years later struggling with some of them. So my tip would be to get a set of 35-40# limbs to shoot till your form is consistent. Second costly lesson was to start tampering with arrow tuning before my form was anywhere close to solid.... Find arrows which fly good enough an shoot them also till consistency👍🏼
Good luck on your journey, cheers Thorsten

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thorsten, this seems like sound advice! Were you an archer before picking up trad? I don't plan on tuning the arrows just yet, at least not until I can hit the target at 30 yards! :D

·
Fair Chase!
230 Posts
Thorsten, this seems like sound advice! Were you an archer before picking up trad? I don't plan on tuning the arrows just yet, at least not until I can hit the target at 30 yards! :D
No, this was my first ever bow. The reference from compounds if they were shot correctly, will definitely help, but the lower poundage tip is still veeery valid😎

1 - 20 of 58 Posts