Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have shot a HPX with F7 limbs in many barebow competitions, I think others here have, also. What do you need to know?

·
Registered
267 Posts
IMHO not the best riser for bare bow.
Too fragile and not torsionally stable. I got feedback from a friend who nearly went crazy after switching from another riser to a HPX because he performed weak and had no clue what the reason was. He suffered nearly one year, thinking the whole time that he himself was the source of his problems. After switching back to a stiffer riser his grouping magically improved again.
These fragile risers work prefectly for olympic style but with stringwalking they are simply not stiff enough.
Tori, did you stringwalk with the HPX or did you shoot bowhunter style with fingers touching the arrow? The latter could work quite fine, even with a HPX.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
These fragile risers work prefectly for olympic style but with stringwalking they are simply not stiff enough.
I think you mean 'less stiff' rather than 'fragile'.

Is it the stringwalking that causes the problem and how does a stiffer riser work better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, greysides, less stiff. Those modern constructions are optimized for shooting olympic style and even distribution of forces between upper and lower riser part. Stringwalking produces a strong vertical disbalance of forces during shooting, and thus, the risers have to be much stiffer. It is not only torsion, you have to take care of but bending, as well. Is bending the right word? Don't know, but I think you get what I mean.

·
8,511 Posts
Thanks Holger, I've noticed the better stringwalkers have a preference for the stiffer risers.

Is it to do with the long life of the riser or how does it translate into tuning or shooting?

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is not the durability of a riser but you will get better grouping with less vibrations. I am not talking about high frequency vibrations. What diturbs an arrow at release are mid frequency vibrations which are not in phase between upper and lower riser part

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My wife doesn't string walk much but she holds the NFAA and IFAA world Field records with a HPX so I don't think I will get rid of mine anytime soon
Gary
Used by someone here on the forum Hoyt HPX and formula limbs in barebow division?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Which poundage does your wife shoot? Vibration disturbance effects strongly depend on the force applied to the system. With a draw weight in the lower 30s the described effects are not that relevant.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sandy shoots 38 lbs no we were not in Yankton but will be in July this year for the NFAA Field and the IFAA World field. one thing would Limbsaver dampeners help ? we have them on the limbs just above the riser
Gary

·
8,511 Posts
Thanks Holger, message received and understood.

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMHO not the best riser for bare bow.
Too fragile and not torsionally stable. I got feedback from a friend who nearly went crazy after switching from another riser to a HPX because he performed weak and had no clue what the reason was. He suffered nearly one year, thinking the whole time that he himself was the source of his problems. After switching back to a stiffer riser his grouping magically improved again.
Tori, did you stringwalk with the HPX or did you shoot bowhunter style with fingers touching the arrow? The latter could work quite fine, even with a HPX.
The latter, all my competition experience is gap shooting. Yep, it worked pretty well, but I do think that you had to execute everything correctly, you got punished for bad form. I think the Stolid bull Black Thunder I now have is more forgiving ... less 'twitchy'. Of course, I also have different limbs so take my comparison with a grain of salt. Unfortunately I don't have an ILF Hoyt riser similar to the HPX with which to test the Border limbs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sandy shoots 38 lbs no we were not in Yankton but will be in July this year for the NFAA Field and the IFAA World field. one thing would Limbsaver dampeners help ? we have them on the limbs just above the riser
Gary
^^ What Gary says. Limbsavers really help on this riser. You can also attach a screw-in flex ball or limb saver to the limb threads, that helps absorb some of the vibration.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My wife doesn't string walk much but she holds the NFAA and IFAA world Field records with a HPX so I don't think I will get rid of mine anytime soon
Gary
^^ I am looking forward to meeting Sandy and hopefully she'll share a few of her secrets with me :) Amazing shooting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts