Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the forums and mostly a reader instead of poster. I'm going to make am effort to change that. I read a ton of threads on here about the gold medalist and decided to take the plunge. I couldn't be happier this old bow shoots so darn good I wish I would have bought one years ago.

Thank you guys for steering me right and giving me hours of enjoyment reading all the good info.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
The Hoyt Gold Medalist is a great bow. It was my first ILF bow a long time ago. I eventually switched to barebow risers. I believe Greysides continues to use his as a barebow. I now set mine up as an Olympic bow since it looks so classic with a sight, clicker and V-bar stabilizer. Now be careful when you are reading posts on the Hoyt GM. Most folks around here think of the GM as the Gamemaster. The FITA folks think of the GM as a Gold Medalist.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right I ran into that in some of the post. I paired up a set of the original Hoyt limbs that I had laying around with it and shot them compared to some newer versions that I have. I really could not tell enough of a difference to warrant the price. I have $200 in this bow which makes it my least expensive combo but I don't think it knows that.

The riser geometry is amazing and very comparable to my 24 td warf bow. Like you say Mr Hoyt was as good as it gets in bow design.

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
I have owned three Gold Medalists. Great bows. Eventually sold them and now shoot two earlier Pro Medalists; one is a one piece and the other is a TakeDown-3. They seem a bit sweeter shooting. But my best ever scores at barebow field archery were with the first Gold Medalist riser and basic limbs. I forget why I sold that one. - lbg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know what newer model grips will fit these risers? I'm looking for a medium grip it has a really high wrist on it. I can shoot it but would like to try something lower.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have a 71-72 pro medallist and had a Gold Medalist for some time.
Both like most hoyts,are very good shooters.
I kept the PM because I was given it from family,but I don't shoot it because it's to heavy for me now days.
I think 3 Rivers or Lancaster supply early Hoyt plastic grips that fit these bows, bloody nothing else does ;^).

John.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
By Best grips from Alt. will fit. Earlier (not current) Spigarelli grips will fit, Alt. may have those also. Paul Jager does grips that will fit. Any of the Hoyt 'Avalon' grips will fit but not the current ergo/ortho models without severe (as I did it) modification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts