Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for you super tuners out there. How much change have you noticed when adding or subtracting 10 grains of point weight to an arrow. Can you even notice a change? I am referring to going from say a 100 gr. to a 90 gr. when bare shaft tuning and fletched arrow flight. I notice quite a bit of difference when going from 100 gr. to 125 gr. or from 125 gr. to 145 gr., but have never tried just a 10 gr. change. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ten grains up front will change your dynamic spine 1-2 pounds, tops. The old rule of thumb for wood arrows is 35 grains of tip weight or 1" of shaft length equals 5# of dynamic spine. With carbons it's closer to 50 grains.

Long and short, ten grains is a non issue for what we do.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The absolute "finest" I have ever been able tune to a shootable difference was the difference between 125 grain points and 145 grain points. Sure that "looks" like +/- 10 grains, but really its a 20 grain spread, and it was with some nice (not cheap, not super expensive) carbons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, it really depends.....each setup has a "window" of spine, some are small and finicky, some are wide and forgiving, depends on where you are in that window, if you are near the edge, 10gr. can push you over it or bring it further into the sweet spot.....it's all up to you and what you are comfortable with and your ability to make exact clean releases, I like to get mine as close to the middle as possible where it is a tad more forgiving of my sometimes imperfect execution of the shot......and I use the term sometimes very loosely.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Did anyone found that on carbon arrows, point weight have less effect then arrow length than on aluminum arrows?
Martin

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Voodoo nailed it - yes 10 will effect you but your better off adding weight until you find the other edge of your tune and then splitting the difference - it might be 10-15-20-25 you don't know and really can't tell until you find the other edge.

---------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
On both of my bows, it makes no difference. Field points are 125, BHs are 145. Same for the field points. I only shoot out to 20 yards.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I am sure you would see the diference on a shooting machine or if you were a 1300 archer at 70-90 meters. I agree with Voodo in terms of where yoiu are in the tunning range.

Martin, yes, carbons are much more sensitive to length than point weight.

Rasyad

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I remember recently some on here shooting from 125gr field points to something like 210gr broadheads with the same tapered or barreled carbon shaft.

Don't quote me the numbers but it was somewhere in that region.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Zulu, that was me. I had 32" AMG GT 20 smart shafts with 125 grain and 315 grain field points both shooting with the same tuning. My best 6 arrow groups at 18 yards had 2 fletched and 1 bareshaft with each point weight all inside 4" side to side with the heavier points about 10" or 12" lower.

What is really interesting is I decided to trim the arrows to a more compact 28" and keep them for the heavier point. I have since tried to shoot the 125 grain points and can't get a tune i can live with.

From this experiment I discovered that the longer shaft was much more forgiving than the same shaft 4 " shorter. (I have a 28" DL).

Rasyad

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would think it would depend on the overall weight of the arrow.It may not make a difference in the higher weights but if the arrow was 4.9gn per inch with a spine of 1000 I would imagine you would see quite a bit of change in dynamic spine with 10gns point weight.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Did anyone found that on carbon arrows, point weight have less effect then arrow length than on aluminum arrows?
Martin
Yep, I've cut too many carbons to the 'right' length only to find that I needed a ton up front. Now I leave 'em 'too long' and they tune easier. ;-)

·
Spearhead
3,506 Posts
Ronin, haven't tried 10 grains diffrence. 15 grains I have.
Going from 85 to 100 grains is huge diffrence with bare shaft, I need to adjust plunger tune. I notice even bigger diffrences (without changing plunger tension) past 50 yards with fletched.
Shoot to 70-80 yards and arrows are on the edge of the 4'x4' butt if they don't miss altogether.

This is with P3 vanes and aae wav vanes.
Feathers might be different.

Chad

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
kakend makes a good point about converting it to a percentage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think it would depend on the overall weight of the arrow.It may not make a difference in the higher weights but if the arrow was 4.9gn per inch with a spine of 1000 I would imagine you would see quite a bit of change in dynamic spine with 10gns point weight.

Have a great day,
Kasey
And you would be thinking correctly, the heavier the arrow the less 10gr. would have an effect, look at it this way, take a thousand pound load, put it in a compact pickup, and you could hardly move it, but put it in a 1 ton dually and you barely feel it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts