Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to strip off anodizing?
I have a chance to get a (scratched, but well functioning) target release for my son.
I'm thinking of stripping the anodizing off by polishing it, but to get into the nooks and cranys of the release I can't "polish it" or reach into them.

Any ideas? All else fails I'll paint it, but polished it will have a lot of ***bling***
Lol

Chad

·
Registered
738 Posts
My friend used drain cleaner on his riser and it worked a treat..

I think it is the caustic in the solution that dissolves the anodizing.

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
****, thanks.
Wish I would have posted this in the main forum

:-o

Can someone move it to the main forum for me please.

Chad

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Can someone move it to the main forum for me please. Chad
Yes, consider it done!:) This is an interesting topic as I was told several times by experts that stripping anodized surfaces had to be done in an acid bath or removed mechanically by grinding/sanding. I guess it depends on which type; as in type one, two or three - three being the deepest and much like Parkerizing is actually part of the metal surface rather than a coating like paint. Interested in hearing about the results you get.

Reactions: Coodster

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't think the oven cleaner will work on type 3. I know people that have removed anodizing from bicycle parts with it but it leaves a dull uneven finish that needs a lot of polishing. I would try just polishing off what you can or just paint it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
HCl- Hydrochloric acid strips it off of steel very well,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Coodster

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sodium hydroxide solution is best for stripping off an anodized item.
Drain cleaner is nearly 100% sodium hydroxide and can be used to make a solution for this purpose. Be very careful and wear gloves and a goggle.
Especially the latter is very important because the solution, once in your eyes, will permanently damage and blur the cornea. Even immediate rinsing will be too late. The damage occurs immediately and cannot be healed. A cornea transplant would be the only solution. So be very careful.
Depending on the concentration of the solution, the stripping off can be a thing of a few seconds. Thoroughly rinse with clear water directly afterwards. Disassemble eveything which is not aluminum before stripping.

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drain cleaner worked like a charm, took it slow and rinsed regularly after rubbing and used a qtip.
My son loves it lol.

It's got bling

Thank you for all your help

Chad

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks nice but you will have to do something against the oxidisation of the aluminum.
If you don't, the surface will become matte and greyish after a while.
I would propose anodising the realease anew in silver.

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ren that there is shiny pretty string bling for a compound shooter ;-)
I can't complain, my son shoots it very well.
It's sad he has a lot of natural ability shooting a bow but he chooses a compound? He started with a recurve and longbow, I hope later in his life he returns to them.

Chad

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not to shiny almost a dull sheen to it, if it dulls it will be ok a satin aluminum will be good

Chad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts