Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order my first recurve bow but have one last piece of the puzzle I need help with - How do I order string/serving so it matches the arrow nock size? I plan on starting with D97 string but don't know how many strands...or what serving size to order.
I have a dozen Carbon Express Predator II 20/40 arrows (Launchpad nocks) that I will start with but am sure I will be experimenting with a variety of arrows before I settle on a favorite.
Is there a 'universal' strand count or serving size that will work with a variety of arrow nocks until I decide on which arrow I really like?
My bow will be a 25" SF Forged Riser Plus with #35 TradTech Black Max limbs (long) so I will need a 70 AMO string. My draw length of 29" should give me about 29# draw weight.
Is there a chart or something I can reference that will match different mfg nock sizes to different string materials and strand counts?

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I use 12 strand d97 3 bundle Flemish with .19 Halo serving. I sometimes add a strand or two in the nock area to tighten up a loose fit. I always use two tied on nocking points too.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
If you order store bought you are usually limited to standard spec strings, which have more strands than a lot of the trad folks here use (in fact the trad guys wonder why us target guys "overbuild" our strings). I always had to have mine reserved until I started making my own. A place like Lancaster will probably check the match if you order from them. They have excellent customer service. Tradtech is part of Lancaster and will do the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts