Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching MBB 1 video finally got an understanding of what gap shooting involves - Rod Jenkins explained a very good method (basically finding the point on distance and then shooting closer and measuring how far up the arrow impacts on target as you close distance). Then that distance (e.g. 10" @ 20yds) constitutes the gap from the arrow to the target point. Sounds simple enough, however one thing I cannot figure out is how to you define point X on the target in order to measure the gap from it (it's not like you there is a fixed reference point - just eye center to the target). Am I missing something? Also, how does one estimate what 10" looks like vs 7" gap ?

I am sure people eventually get this subconsciously with time, but how does once apply this as an accurate conscious aiming system. Thanks

K

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dont gap shoot below 50m but I would understand it to be using your example that if you were 10" high at 20 yards your arrow point should be 10" below to hit the gold. You should,nt need to estimate if during your point on exercise you make a note of all distances shot and learn these and then practice,practice,practice!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your max gap will be at half the distance of your PO. The arrow is rising to half your PO dist then falling to your PO and beyond.

When you are learning your gaps you shoot at the same spot. The arrows will strike above (until your PO). How high above they strike is your gap below for that dist.

He is a simple calc to see what your arrow is doing at a given dist.
http://www.outdoorsden.com/archery/archbal.asp

Also see ranger b vid

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
If your gap is to hold 24 cm high over the bullseye at 50m:
With a FITA field 80 cm target each ring is 8 cm wide, so you need to hold at 12 o'clock on the 2 ring.

If it's multicoloured targets then each ring is 4 cm wide and you need to hold at 12 o'clock in the 4 ring.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
First you have to pick a spot. Middle of the target is good, but sometimes there is a whole lot of middle of the target. Pick a small off color spot. Or better yet do this.

Get a 12 inch standatd paper plate. You know how big the target is,,12 inches. Put a red or black 1 inch circle dead in the middle. Now you have two reference points to measure off from. The 12 inch plate and the one inch dead center spot.

Back up to 10 yds and aim off the center spot. Gap at the bottom of the plate. Thats 6 inches worth of gap. See where you go from there. You can now visualize what a 6 inch gap is at 10 yds.

Now do the same at 20. 25 and so on. You can 'see' what a 6 inch gap, or 12 inch gap is pretty easy based on the white paper plate.

On an animal target, learn to pick out a small defining spot in the muddle of the target, not just the whole middle. There is truth to the saying, aim small, miss small.

Reactions: targets3d

·
Registered
149 Posts
Old Dan Marino...(let's just take him as an example, cause I cant think of anyone else).....he gets the snap and looks down field....and throws the ball to a runner that is moving....or stopped.....he doesnt put his left arm up and look down it to detrmine a gap...he just throws it....he's done it so many times.....so many times.....
wouldnt that be an easier way to shoot any distance.....you dont have to know the distance....just look down there and shoot it.....I bet if you do it enough....you can forget "the gap".....
Now I may be all wet on that....but I may not...
D.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
All the others have explained things better than I could but I agree, get your point on then walk back and forward in 5yd blocks to get a measurement for your gaps.
With 3D you need to learn as many animals as possible and how far it is from the X to the bottom of the belly or other prominent marker. This makes life easier.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Dthx123,,,, in simple terms, no. What Marino is doing is a learned skill period. It is a misconception to call it instinctive. He has spent YEARS of doing that particular motion over and over until his brain clicks so quick it looks like what would be instinctive, but it isn't. It is a learned process.

Aiming is a process that can become quick like that, from years of repeating the process, Howard Hill was like that, he aimed, he said so in his book.

"instinctive shooting" is like aim big, miss big, hitting a 3 inch circle at 20 yds 50 times out of 60 is aim small, miss small. And trust me, popping a 275 or better out of 300 on a NFAA face, you better know how to aim small.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Targets..... Here's what I do to find point on distance.... Draw the bow, pick a spot, then raise the bow untill arrow point is on that spot I picked.... Execute the shot... If impacts above the spot, back up ... Under, move closer, until you find the distance the arrow impacts target when shot, exactly where it's held at full draw,

Ive heard the QB analogy several times........ Everyone always forgets to mention those million dollar receivers, doing their best to move the target( their hands) to where ole Dan threw the ball :) Maybe we just need targets than move to where the arrow is going?

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
A thing I very much enjoy about reading what you write ROD is how you most succinctly say what others would take very much more space in doing. :D

A small note: If you're a split finger "hooker on er" start a bit closer to the target, or risk shooting an arrow into a place where ya might not want it! (due to the size of the "gap")

Tom

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Let me clarify a bit more why the idea of a quarterback throwing a football or a pitcher throwing a baseball is NOT the pinpoint accuracy one would desire in shooting an arrow. In both football and baseball you have a margin of error that can be up to 4 feet or more and still be considered to be amazingly accurate. This is equal to the armspan of the one making a catch. Not very acceptable when trying to hit a killzone on an animal the size of am10 inch circle, or a 3 or 4 inch ring on a target. To miss that by 3 or 4 feet is disaster.

With a baseball pitch, how often do you see the catcher NOT have to move his gloce to catch the pitch? Not very often is the pitch right in the glove. Most of the time he has to move all around to catch the ball. This is not much more than 20 yds and to be accurate all he has to do is get the ball in a 12 by 24 inch zone. By archery standards, this stinks.

Not something you want to strive for now, is it? Not when the sought after target at 20 yds is a 3 inch circle.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Good posts Graysquirrell!

Although subconscious gapping is with a certain few ,capable of outstanding results...reality is , I've been around alot of shooters for several years and there's only a handful that's reached the capable standard in other than limited situations.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Old Dan Marino...(let's just take him as an example, cause I cant think of anyone else).....he gets the snap and looks down field....and throws the ball to a runner that is moving....or stopped.....he doesnt put his left arm up and look down it to detrmine a gap...he just throws it....he's done it so many times.....so many times.....
wouldnt that be an easier way to shoot any distance.....you dont have to know the distance....just look down there and shoot it.....I bet if you do it enough....you can forget "the gap".....
Now I may be all wet on that....but I may not...
D.
That might work, if you were Dan Morino... (grin)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Nothing to be sorry about guy, valid question. Lots of misconceptions out there. Sometimes one needs knee length rubber boots on to wade through it.

And all of it depends on what your goals are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.