Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a string break at the nocking point... Gets your attention ! I was shooting this particular bow for some time did not notice any unusually wear. I'm going to change out my serving more often now. Wodering how many of you change your serving on a regular basis. I think I may start ever month.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I am a string walker. I use mono for serving. I change it every few months. On the other hand I have to braided severing that is several years old. I change braided serving when it needs it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use diamond back for the most part and that stuff is super resilient. I also use halo and monofilament depending on the bow. For the most part every serving failure I have ever had either resulted from a crimp on nock or using a mechanical release

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I change my strings about once a year whether they need it or not. I have had only one serving failure (I too use mono and tie on nock sets) However I have never had an actual string failure which is another matter entirely.

Lately I have seen several threads about string failures which were attributed to the brass crimp on nock sets. Probably impossible to really know for sure but the theory was that it is possible to get them crimped on so tightly that they damage the string material itself.

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
I replace center serving after it wears down and nock fit degrades. I use Crown so that is fairly rare. I use Diamondback for end loops and replace the string entirely when that wears out. I make my own strings and go through about one per year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts