Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread in another forum and wanted to see how many would like to have a traditional archery hunting show. So far I've heard some great things from all sorts of people. The biggest dislike I've heard is the focus on trophy hunting in other shows and the lack of respect for the animals taken.
I'm hoping if there are enough positive responses, someone with the resources to do such a thing, would see this and get a t.v. show started on the Outdoor Channel or Mens Channel(MOR). There are alot of sponsers in a few different trad sites to make this possible. Lets hear what you have to say!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i hate to say it, but hunting shows do nothing for me. im one of them haev to experience it.

count me out.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
id have to decline. Some people should not be allowed on TV. im one of them. Id hate to scare everyone. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL! Thats a good one! Actually there has been an idea thrown around about having an all trad show, with the contents of the show being videos sent in by average people like us. No superstars, no trophies only, no macho disrespectfull b.s. Something that would be educational and respectfull. Everything from self bow making and hunting, to shooting tips and the whole enchilada. Thanks for you reply though! God bless!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like the idea,but it would have to follow some pretty strict guide lines to interest me.
I don't watch hunting shows or DVD's now because to me most of them are just snuff movies.
One hunting DVD I do own features two well known NZ hunters and it's about hunting Sika deer.
It goes into their history in NZ,where they can be found,access,habits ect ect,and it shows no animals being shot.
So a hunting show to me,has to be about hunting skills,the animals,the habitat,the gear used,,,,,not about killing.
Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like we're thinking along the same lines! Keep the ideas and comments coming! Good or bad it helps make a better show!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I wouldn't exclude the compounders. Make them feel like they're a part of it. Have the main people be shooting pulleyless bows, but don't be an exclusive little club show where the only people on there wear **** skin caps.

I've said this many times before and I'll say it again until is resonated through everyone's skulls. The worst thing for our sport has been the media. There are thousands of compound shooters out there wanting to try shooting pulleyless, but they feel like trying "traditional" is the equivelant of converting to Islam and becoming gay because of all the exclusive crap they're fed on hunting shows and magazines that you need to be, act, dress, talk, etc... Burn it all down. Make an archery show that focuses on the more primitive stuff we do but not a show about a totally exclusive little club.

Another thing about the snuff film stuff mentioned earlier. I'm sorry if this pisses some people off, that's not my intention. I lent my copy of Masters of the Barebow to several different people to watch. More than one person, experienced hunters and archers, have come to me and asked what's with the crappy penetration on these animals being shot. The one that was mentioned most was the moose running away with the 3/4 of the arrow hanging out of its side like a wet noodle. These guys who said this to me are guys who used to hunt with round wheel compounds and 3 blade muzzys on aluminum arrows and have taken more trophy animals with a bow than I can count. Basicly their old stuff has same performance that we're getting with our modern pulleyless gear. And personally, I didn't care for that shot of the Impala being shot right at the watering trough. I'm just glad they didn't have it on a leash. I think that was lame and a lot of other people think so too. Be carefull what you show on there so you don't turn people off to the sport, is what I'm saying. I don't mean to bad mouth MOTBB. I learned a lot of good stuff from it. There's just a few things in there they shouldn't have shown is all. Take that into consideration when making this show.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally have nothing against those who use a compound. My daughter hunts with one , so I would want her to be supported. What traditional shooters want is a show of their own. There are 20 or more hunting shows that consist of compound shooters and once in a great while we get a glimpse of a traditional hunt. This would be one show out of the many out there.
Most of the guys/gals out there who shoot traditional aren't trying to be exclusive or secretive. If you have ever been to the Compton shoot here in Michigan, you would be surrounded by the most friendly and sincere people you have ever met.
In this show above all, we want the animal to be given the greatest respect that they deserve. I agree that there is a bunch of shows out there with bad ethics, and blinded by the pursuit of trophy hunting. Thats not real hunting. i would like it to follow the likeness of Primal Dreams. That one appealed to non-hunters as well. Thanks for you info Feral Donkey. Your concerns are shared with many. :thankyou:

·
Isaiah 49:2
853 Posts
I think the very best idea is for guys to send in videos of their hunts. maybe have a host to present the hunts and do some hunts himself. Getting Traditional Vision Quest in on it would be great along with other trad sponsors.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Feral Donkey,I hear what your saying about the kill shot.
It wouldn't be so wrong to show animals being shot if the people that put the shows togeather would put a bit more thought into it.
I'm all for showing "shot placement" but I'm against some of the things you've mentioned.I guess you an I both know an arrow can be pushed back as the animal heads for the hills,and this makes it look like poor penetration when shown on film,,,,sometimes huh.
I've seen moives where I've wondered if the hunters were either really bad shots using poorly matched gear or maybe a complete pass through just doesn't look as good on film.
I still have a hard time working it out because 90% of my kills using 45-55lb bows are complete pass throughs,,,,,,,,an then a rifle or compound shooting mate sees this stuff an I end up looking like a liar.
Guess I should just tie that goat to a rope an shoot it from 60 yards. :sbrug:
Heck,some of these shows make us look bad,an it's not "us" doing it.
No wonder the anti's think we're doing this sh,,,,, when that's how it's shown on the tube:mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Old thread that popped up on the bottom of another thread I was reading. Its funny to think that, nowadays, it doesn't really matter if there are any trad hunting shows because you can see all the trad bowhunting you want on Youtube. I don't know if there are any other trad-only hunting shows on cable, but I did notice on Meateater that Ryan Callaghan hunts with a longbow in a few episodes. Plus, with Aron Snyder on Joe Rogan and Clay Hayes on Alone, I'd say that traditional archery/bowhunting is getting a higher profile in the mass media. Anyway, how times change...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I remember when hunting shows fist became popular and I looked so forward to new ones coming out, in short order that had all changed with people hunting deer farms. Money got involved and the rest is history.
I‘ll pass on hunting shows.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have nothing against people shooting compounds or anything but would prefer a trad only show since there really ain’t any out there. That’s a good idea for regular guys to send their hunts in and maybe have a little “tech tip” for bows or gear in it also

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have nothing against people shooting compounds or anything but would prefer a trad only show since there really ain’t any out there. That’s a good idea for regular guys to send their hunts in and maybe have a little “tech tip” for bows or gear in it also
That's pretty much exactly what The Push is putting on their Youtube channel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First several seasons of Easton Bowhunting TV with Fred Eichler had some unbelievable trad hunting and adventures. Was much more focused on the hunting and experience then the trophy. His dall sheep - mountain carribou hunt was hardcore. That guide hiked him into the ground.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Tracker1-"money got involved & the rest is history." yup. spotted my first feeder on a "hunt", and stopped right there. no more for me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really miss watching Tred Barta. His show was always real, interesting, funny, and above all traditional archery. There are other shows here and there that will throw in a stickbow episode but not enough for my liking.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts