Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Different tools for different jobs. I have short ambush longbows for hunting and bows just for target work and hey horsebows just because they are fun.

·
Novice
167 Posts
I’m a relatively new archer, and use a fiberglass recurve bow exclusively for hunting and the joy of shooting. Ive been wondering: how many bows does an archer actually need? Obviously a purist answer could be one. However, I think we all find it practical to have more than one, for various reasons. I’m sure some of you have many many bows, and some only one. But practically speaking, what do you find is a reasonable number of bows to cover the hunters basic needs?

J
I am also a relatively new archer and use fiberglass recurve bows. I don't hunt, so all that I need is one.

But which one. I bought one. But then another with more seductive curves caught my eye, so I bought it. Now one with blond glass looked really nice, so I bought that one. Another promised that my shooting would improve so I bought that one. Another one was really cheap and who can pass up a good deal, so I got that one also. I suppose that I could sell one or two but that would be selling my dog. Loyal, faithful, waiting for me to go out with him.

I think that I am up to six, maybe 7 if you count the antique. I only shoot one. I have shot them all. I have a favorite. and had I bought it first, I might only have one, or two.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The number you need is just one more.
Ha! I've been saying the same thing for years.

But with bows, you do need 2 as others have said. One at hunting weight and the other at a comfortable "practice all afternoon weight". For me, I have a 57# and 47#.

I got the 57# when I was all young and studly (yes there was a day). I can now shoot the 57# about 10-shots before accuracy suffers, but it shoots those 10 with sincere authority. A sharp head is a thru & thru on elk.

I can shoot the 47# through a good 50 arrows and it is my main hunting bow.

I'd like to get a 35# with sight bushings just for working on form and indoor target play during the winter. Get off work and shoot all evening.

But one is enough. Know plenty of guys get by just fine with one.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Stay with the fiberglass bow. If you get another one you will leave the fiberglass bow in a corner of the house and you will want to try another bow, and another, and another ...

PS Yesterday I took out my Bunyan 100 fiberglass bow #[email protected]" and is the most versatile bow in the house because I can shoot it western style or with a thumb ring. 2 in 1 package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Excellent conversation good people; this is definitely helping me sort out some of my curiosities and questions. I personally would like to have a minimal number of bows. The dilemma is that in order to know what I need some exploration shooting different types of bows is required.

Maybe what I really need are friends to share my love for archery so that we can all share and learn from what we already have.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It wasn’t until I got back into recurves i needed more than one bow. So now I have to many. In the meantime I aged 40 years and those 55# and up bows an’it really for me anymore. So.... I have just a couple 45# bows with another one the way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I knew beforehand what I would end up liking to shoot, I would have just gotten me the one bow that I have been shooting with for the last 20 months now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For me it's currently one bow. Well, one riser, with three pairs of limbs:

#29 - form training / strength building initially, but I likely won't touch these again for a long time unless I have newbie friends who want to shoot
#40 - form training / general practise and deer hunting; these are my go-to limbs right now
#50 - moose hunting, but may soon replace my deer limbs as my go-to limbs since I'm getting stronger

So I guess technically I could say I have three bows, but due to it all being the same riser I feel like I'm dedicated to my one bow.

Do I see other bows in my future? Absolutely. I have a romantic notion of the idea of hunting with an English longbow, so I'll be making room for that in my budget at some point in the future. That being said, I don't feel a compulsion to keep on buying bows for the sake of a nuanced difference, presently speaking.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you want to move up to those 50# limbs full time consider getting a pair of 55# limbs for occasional practice.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Despite my earlier flippant answer all you really need is a 25" riser and a couple sets of limbs, everything else is just window dressing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently have 5 recurves......I just like em and always looking for a bargain, prolly the 2 i shoot the most....black widow pma x black and white ebony 62” 45lb @ 29” and a bear grizzly 58” 55lb at 28”.

I say own all you can, they all shoot a little different.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
However many it takes.....grin.

I've been at this for about two years now. I've now got 3 wood longbows, 2 ILF risers, 4 sets of ILF limbs.

The numbers can get a little grey when you get into ILF stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As a side note :
As a lefthander, I have a good excuse for having many bows.
Just try to sell a LH version of a last year's compound ...
I have a few of them lying around.

About 3 years ago, I decided to start thumb archery seriously.
Which went fine with the 40# KTB bow I had, and matching arrows. I liked the lightweight and easy to draw KTBs, and in mediterranean draw, that gave me about 33..34#. (For those not knowing, KTBs are usually specified at 31" draw length).
Not surprisingly, that did not go too well. I struggled with the higher poundage (suddenly increased draw length), and the now non-matching arrows.
Thus I took a step back, and got two bows with 25#@28", and 30#@28".
And over the month, worked my way up to 40 ... 50#, with several bows in 5# steps I bought during that time :rolleyes:
I am mostly shooting 35# and 40# now, but can draw a 50# bow for a few dozens of shots.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Despite my earlier flippant answer all you really need is a 25" riser and a couple sets of limbs, everything else is just window dressing.

Since he is mainly a hunter, a Black Bear warf and any kind of limbs will do the trick. 25" is too much length and the 21" BB has the same weight anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the question is need, I think the answer is 2 if you are a hunter. 2 complete setups tuned and ready to go 1 short 58" 1 long 64" depending on the situation. If archery becomes your passion it never ends. It is a constant study you may want a self bow just to try something different......... Just don't keep them all in the same place or the wife may see just how many you have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I NEED a bunch!.

I have to have a shorter bow for my stand and brush hunting. Currently a 56" Longbow hybrid.

I need one for club day, one for target, one for 3d, one to beat around in the truck. One because it looked so darn good, one because it made me smile when I shot it.

Their is a long list.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts