Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a relatively new archer, and use a fiberglass recurve bow exclusively for hunting and the joy of shooting. Ive been wondering: how many bows does an archer actually need? Obviously a purist answer could be one. However, I think we all find it practical to have more than one, for various reasons. I’m sure some of you have many many bows, and some only one. But practically speaking, what do you find is a reasonable number of bows to cover the hunters basic needs?

J

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm far to new to this to weigh in with great amounts of knowledge. However what I plan to do is to stick to one riser then have two or three sets of limbs. As to stay consistent as possible.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you only hunt and casually practice.

One primary that you hunt with and do most practice. And a second heavier one to keep the primary one easy to shoot.

Not everyone uses that reasoning though.

That said youll never be able to change and grow and expand as a shooter if you dont have other options. to try ,test and etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am pretty new to all this and own three. I got a older cheaper takedown recurve I bought at a garage sale. It is 40lbs and 66" long. Next I bought a Hoyt Satori off KIJIJI.Traded the Hoyt med limbs for a pistol and bought a set of long DAS limbs (40lbs) for it. If I go out in the woods I take it, as it is pretty robust. Next I bought a 60" Bob Lee take down recurve, mostly because it is beautiful and around 46lbs, my most powerful bow. I will be taking it mule deer hunting in the fall.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Ditto Carboniac. Always have a backup. My backup bow is 4# heavier than my primary and I shoot it in my garage to help maintain strength. I only go to the range a couple times a week with my primary, but try to shoot in my garage most of the week with my backup.

I got a dedicated target bow, but don’t shoot it as much since I can’t make it to the range as much as I used to.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,625 Posts
If you are someone who focusses on form then a light weight form bow makes sense. You can accomplish both the light and heavy by using an ILF bow with different low cost limbs.

Your main bow can be any type you like.

I have many sets of low cost limbs so that I can adjust my practice to what I am working on and where I am at in the learning process.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Need has little to do with a number. By the time I got myself situated with a longbow or three, recurves of various weights and lengths, recurves for each of the grandkids, a few lefties for the two left handed relatives that come by and want to shoot, a few more recurves on the cheaper end for teaching newbies, and then what ever odd ball bow that comes along that is just too neat and cheap to pass up, the number climbs into the dozens. With dozens of bows there is need for a vast quantity of arrows in various lengths and spines, and let's not forget the strings. B55 for the older bows and low stretch for the newer bows. To keep that all organized requires a string rack with pegs for 52, 56, 58, 60, 62, and 64" bows and then a miscellaneous peg for any oddballs. To afford the strings requires an inventory of varying colors and types of string material, serving material in several thickness and types, Then there is arrow upkeep supplies and several targets. All of that for me to shoot one bow at a time, which is all that a guy really needs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’m fairly new and have 5 bows and extra limbs. Being older I want to go easy on my joints so I always keep a couple 35# bows strung up. I have two Samick Sage risers and a set of 30, 35, 40, and 45# limbs. I really like that bow and just feels good to shoot, and with the 40 and 45# limbs they can be used to hunt.
I also have a Samick Discovery ILF bow with 35, 40, and 45# limbs for my target and hunting bow, another bow I really like to shoot.
I also had to have a more traditional longbow so I have a 35# and 45# longbow which I enjoy for a different kind of shooting. I have some nice tabs and gloves also so I feel pretty set well set up. What I have gloves me plenty of variety and fills all of my needs.
The only thing I can see in my future is a nice looking one piece recurve bows. Something in the 35-45# range that has a reputation of a smooth shooting bow with little to no stacking.
With the bows I have and shoot I could never see limiting myself to a couple of bows. I do shoot almost every day after dinner and it’s something I alway look forward to.
I have always shot compounds but find traditional archery much more fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd say 2 or 2 setups with different weights. One take-down with a set of light limbs for form work and target practice. One heavy set for hunting. Or 2 bows, one light, one heavy. But definitely start out with the light one first or do what I did and get a heavy one first and then work on correcting form mistakes later on with a light one after soreness and injury occurs. lol. That said, I have my 30# target/form bow, 3 different 50# hunting bows, 1 short 50# hunting bow for blind work, 1 nice 50# collector bow that's a shelf queen, a 50# knock-around bow for hunting practice weight to keep wear and tear off the other 50# hunting bows, and 1 brute of a 70# bow which I use for nothing except for the sole purpose of one day being able to actually fully draw it back all the way and shoot it. Getting closer all the time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to have many, but found that I shoot better when I'm not bouncing around from bow to bow. I'm now down to three. Primary bow is a Gillo G1 that I currently have set up for off-the-shelf to be "trad legal" for 3D. Also have a 62" hunting bow and a 21st Century longbow that I use when I shoot in longbow class.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I started out shooting a 30lb ash recurve self bow that I built in an afternoon. After a summer of shooting about 10,000 arrows my mediocre tillering took its toll and the bow gave out. I graduated to a Pearson cougar 7050 45# that I really love and shoot well with. Recently I picked up a Damon Howatt hunter 55# and am in the process of setting it up. I’d like to make some more self bows and some fancier fiberglass laminate bows of various specs. But at the moment I’m really enjoying the cougar and am getting great results.

·
Spearhead
3,462 Posts
You want a number, 15 any more than that and you have a problem.
Now riser and limb combo then multiply that by 2.5

I’m looking for #16 lol.

For some of us there is no hope, I will not mention any names. I merely dabble.

Chad

·
Registered
28 Posts
After years of research I've determined the following with a simple formula:

Buy 1 bow, then,
Add 1 longbow if you stand 6' tall. If under 6' you should also get a longbow but at the very least get a curve.
Brown hair? Get another longbow.
Brown eyes? Longbow.
Drink scotch? Yep, longbow.
Drink good scotch? Longbow.
Craft beer? Curve or longbow (IPAs lean recurve and a anything barrel aged leans longbow).
Own a dog? Curve or LB.
Does you dog drink scotch? Definitely longbow.
Do you fly fish? If yes get another longbow.
Own a boat? Curve or LB (ILF is ok).
Wife or girlfriend have hair? ILF, Curve or LB.
Does she have a purse? Add one LB for every purse over 5 and one ILF rig for all over that.

This should get you started on the right foot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
After years of research I've determined the following with a simple formula:

Buy 1 bow, then,
Add 1 longbow if you stand 6' tall. If under 6' you should also get a longbow but at the very least get a curve.
Brown hair? Get another longbow.
Brown eyes? Longbow.
Drink scotch? Yep, longbow.
Drink good scotch? Longbow.
Craft beer? Curve or longbow (IPAs lean recurve and a anything barrel aged leans longbow).
Own a dog? Curve or LB.
Does you dog drink scotch? Definitely longbow.
Do you fly fish? If yes get another longbow.
Own a boat? Curve or LB (ILF is ok).
Wife or girlfriend have hair? ILF, Curve or LB.
Does she have a purse? Add one LB for every purse over 5 and one ILF rig for all over that.

This should get you started on the right foot.
Can’t argue with simple math

·
Registered
731 Posts
It is interesting how these discussions tend to go.

Some people(like me) think you should shoot your primary bow most of the time and regularly shoot a heavier bow so you can easily handle your regular bow.

Others think you should shoot your primary bow most of the time and regularly use a light bow to practice form.

I think both groups realize that if you have 2 weights of bow it will make it easier to work on form when you use the lighter of the 2.

·
Registered
402 Posts
^^^^ 45# is heavy to me and I have a longbow in that weight and some takedown and ILF in that weight for just that reason, 40# is my comfort weight, and 35 is my play weight.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts