Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at different arrows. Shooting 48# recurve. I had been up at 54# but i shoot much more consistently at 48#. Looking to go with a two blade Zwickey but really want to go with Snuffers. I have concerns about having enough bow for full penetration on whitetails.
How light of an arrow can I shoot and still expect full penetration?
My choices are 445 grain carbon or 565 grain 2018. If I go with the carbons for flatter trajectory, will I have problems with penetration? Max distance is 25 yards... prefer under 20.
Looking for your experiences if you shoot around this poundage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm no expert but I have killed deer with a 48# longbow and 500gr arrow/Ace two blade. Penetration was not an issue. Complete pass through at 20 yards.
I have also killed deer with 44# longbow and 480gr arrow.

Unless your draw length is under 20" I would say you have plenty of bow for deer but there is a Texas fella on here named Rusty who should put your mind at ease.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
10 grains per pound is 480 grs. at your preferred draw weight. that balance has killed all north american animals for years. 10-12 grains/lb. is fatal to deer, elk, and bear when shot from a legal weight bow with accuracy. either combo will work on white tail deer.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do prefer the carbon but at 445 grains, I was thinking it a bit too light, even at 9 grains a pound. The grains per pound idea is a nice guideline but doesn't mean as much to me when using the lighter weight bows. Even with my compound I shoot a 410 grain arrow.
And with traditional gear, I don't think KE is a good measurement tool. I don't like its over use with compounds. I think bowhunting would be much better off to think momentum instead of KE.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Where you hit a deer is much more important than what you hit it with. Which arrow do you group better with?? At under 20 the trajectory won't be that different.

I hunted with 45lbs and 395 grain arrows for whitetails for several years dirty arrows every time. I've gone up to 55 because elk are a real possibility where I hunt now and elk out of a tree stand need a little extra umph

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Placement is the key, and that is why I am likely to stick with 48#. However, I like to hope for the best and prepare for something less.
First bow harvest I ever saw was a buck killed with a 45# Grizzly, wood arrows and a Bear Razorhead. That arrow did not fully penetrate the rib cage.
Still sticks in my mind....

·
Registered
173 Posts
My deer bow is is 40 lbs bat my 30 inch draw I am not shooting terribly heavy arrows and have yet to not have a full pass through. If it were elk you were chasing I may change that up a bit but with GOOD SHOT PLACEMENT you won't have an issue with either weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts