Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting to see this more and more as i get better and its starting to get to me. Today at a Shoot i got called a Pencil pusher(First time ever), when asked what i shot getting told "Did you double check you math", told "You must have gotten way better cause i know you cant shoot those scores", Etcc.. Etcc.. Many other things in a demeaning manner that i wont even go into. Im pretty pissed off right now and have been since the conversation.. I normally dont let things get to me but this time it did. Also the caliber of archer that said all this i would think would be more professional in these situations..

I know some of you will say to just avoid this person, but its not going to be an option. We will have to shoot in the same groups in the very near future.

SO how would you or how have you dealt with this type of situation??

I think i handled it well by trying to keep my mouth shut the best i could. Most people i know would not have dealt with that to well.. It was uncomfortable for a few people that over heard the conversation as well.. I didnt realize until after when a few people had asked me what the arguement was about.. I guess it was more awkward then i thought... Funny thing is.. I know 60% of the archers there and didnt realize others were listening to all of this. Im starting to wonder if alcohol was involved as this guy is a known drinker.. This is also the third unpleasent run in with this guy.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Invite that person that said you were a cheater to come shoot with you, both of you keep score and kick his butt. We've had that happen to several of us here. After they shot with us, they shut up,,,,,and wont shoot with us again

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's happened to me before. I just ask the person or persons if they would like to shoot the course again with me so I can show them how I got the score. No takers so far but, it shuts them up.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
Wow, I have never heard anything like that. As you know I have spent most of my time shooting FITA, which is professionally judged. You have shot FITA, so know how careful scoring is done and how carefully cards are checked. I guess I will start to get a better idea at the IBO shoot in a few weeks, and the NFAA state field. The NFAA state 900 is well run at Oranco, but I do not believe it uses certified professional judges. The state indoor is a crap shoot depending on where you shoot it.

You deserve better than that type of treatment. I don't care how good an archer somebody is, you do not treat folks the way you were treated. The measure of self worth is not based on how well you shoot and arrow. Far from it. Some folks forget that when they get in a clique. I saw a lot of that in climbing.

There is a reason why you do double scoring and you split up friends and relatives. It is to ensure the integrity of the score cards. Anybody in the group can inspect and verify the cards. I imagine he was not in your group so he neither saw you shoot, or heard your scores called out. Ignore him. I'll shoot with you anytime and you will only hear praise from me. I know I would get the same from you.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Can't think of a situation where that's acceptable...or where I'd put up with it. Also, I've never seen a tournament where you held your own score card. Most have multiple cards and multiple scorers....

I'll never avoid a bully, in fact I go out of my way to do just the opposite. I'd practice as diligently as I could, make it a point to shoot with him at the next tournament, and do my best to spank his hiney with my arrows on the course. Then buy him a calculator.....

·
Spearhead
3,580 Posts
I agree, have them shoot with you.
Your score doesn't lie, you shot very well in Vegas when I watched you.
I hate sore loosers, so invite them to shoot the same line/target as you.

I hate my league makeup scores they are normally better than when I shoot on the line with everyone, this year everyone noticed a higher increase in my scores, this time it was during league ;-)

Chad

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I know you Humdinger so I KNOW whatever crap this guy is spouting is exactly that, crap. I myself despise cheaters and you know that. But I also despise those seek to raise themselves up by spreading lies about others.

The suggestions already offered are very good. It usually works. But I do also advocate that you act "proactively". Do not just keep your mouth shut and ignore it. If you follow that route eventually others that don't know you will hear it and it could possibly become something to haunt you. Don't just wait for an opportunity to shoot with this guy. I know that this may be against your personality, but confront him. He makes the accusation, the burden of proof is on him.

I guess its because I know you, but I'm angry too. Not cool.

Heck it may be to your advantage if its alcohol related. Smell booze on him? Get him ejected.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
Pardon me if this ticks me off and I am venting a bit. You are as honest as anyone I know. You deserve to be proud of what you have accomplished in such a short time in the sport.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Beat him round the head with his bow then shove it where the sun don't shine is a good option. Failing that, shoot with him every chance you get, kick his butt then offer him some cheap coaching if he wants it. Don't let any man call you a cheat when you're not, if you're not careful mud sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
SO how would you or how have you dealt with this type of situation??

Use it as fuel to better yourself. Get as good as you can be and show them that you can do even better than what they think you can't do.

My life was changed by my 9th grade physical science teacher. After getting a D the first quarter because i was playing football in the fall, I started to pay attention in class and got a B on a test. The teacher called me a cheater in front of the class and said I'm not smart enough to get a B. That made me so mad. I didn't say a word but studied like crazy and became his best student with all A's. Turned out I loved this stuff and had a talent for it. This led me into physics and engineering and changed my life.

Use it as fuel !!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Use it as fuel is the best advise you've gotten, so go get em' mate.

An yeah I've had the same sort of thing said when I suddenly got serious about competitions.

I put that clown in his place by going on to win all six rounds of the UA recurve class in our KIWI 3D competition.

Just bite the bullet an let your shooting do the talking.

John.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Well, one time I might take quietly. Any more and I would be inclined to confront and challenge him along the lines suggested above. Ask someone else to call and record the scores and hand the card to him to review. You might alert the shoot officials that you have an issue in progress. Then ask him for a witnessed acknowledgment that your score is correct. I hope it is a good one. Then I would rub it in a little. And tell him with witnesses you will not shoot with him again. Something along those lines. He was way out of line and needs to be called down on it, calmly and with good witnesses. - lbg

Reactions: Humdinger
1 - 20 of 98 Posts