Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a Large yellow bamboo and black bamboo patch, but I do not know how to make the bamboo usable for backing or creating a bow period short of cutting into thin, long, narrow strips?

Is there a better way?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
What diameter?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have bamboo in every diameter from 2" wide to they suff you use for little garden stakes which is around 11/32 I believe? Or close to it

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Need 5-6" for making flatbows, you might be able to get away with 4" if you are making a narrow bow.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Steam will work or one of those setups from Rockler wood working for bending wood. Another way I have seen used for bending laminations for landing nets was using boiling water in the bathtub. Then some kind of press as has been said before. If you have a heat box that would speed up the process. Heat will soften up the bamboo as well. But for long lengths that may not work to well. By heat I mean like from a heat gun. It is what I use to flatten the nodes when making bamboo fly rods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, bummer, I don't have any bamboo that's 4" across,

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Is there anyway you could mill what you have, either by hand plane or? To make laminations? I read in Jack Harrision's book where he did that with Tokin Cane bamboo to make lams for a bow. He wanted true Tokin Cane but most is shipped in 2 to 3 in diameter stalks. They cut it onto strips and glued them up or is this a no- no for a all wood bow?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Is there anyone in your area who builds bamboo fly rods? Might be worth talking to.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
You can use strips for limb cores, but for the backing you need the power fibers on the outside which means a single piece.

Around here you can get 4-5" poles at home depot in the gardening section, I guess they are for decoration or something. I've backed a few bows with them successfully.

-Grant

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there anyway you could mill what you have, either by hand plane or? To make laminations? I read in Jack Harrision's book where he did that with Tokin Cane bamboo to make lams for a bow. He wanted true Tokin Cane but most is shipped in 2 to 3 in diameter stalks. They cut it onto strips and glued them up or is this a no- no for a all wood bow?
I have little in the way of tools, a good hatchet and a knife, And I have glue. Lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there anyone in your area who builds bamboo fly rods? Might be worth talking to.
I'll ask around, that's an excellent idea

Reactions: Sidewinder1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can use strips for limb cores, but for the backing you need the power fibers on the outside which means a single piece.

Around here you can get 4-5" poles at home depot in the gardening section, I guess they are for decoration or something. I've backed a few bows with them successfully.

-Grant
Hm I've never noticed them, but then again I'm not at home depot or lowes very often, I will look! Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.