Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to The Archery Shop during lunch and picked up my Horne Ridge Runner today. I shot it about a eighteen shots. My first impressions? A GORGEOUS, high quality bow!! Shoots very sweet, very quiet and very fast! It is probably the fastest bow I've ever owned/shot. That includes the Palmer recurve and Morrison ACSs and several Adcock ACSs.

The speed of the Ridge Runner was achieved while shooting Sitka Spruce, Lodge Pole Pine and Cedar arrows, while with the others I was shooting Carbonwood VMaxx carbon arrows. The Ridge Runner smokes an arrow!!

I'm very likely going to ship the bow to Mark Horne and have him reduce the draw weight at least 3-3.5# and if possible, 4-4.5#. Right now the bow is 52#@27", which Mark told me the other day equates to 54.5#@28". My old shoulders sure like bows that are in the 47-48#@27" range!!

Jerry Dewese still has the matching Horne Mountain Bow to the Ridge Runner I bought. A fella had Mark and Sandy build both of them for him. It has the same wood combos and the same limb design as mine. The only real diffence is instead of the short, deflexed riser on my bow it has a good bit longer, more straight riser. From what folk who have them have told me, the Mountain Bow is a great shooting bow. If you are interested in it, you can reach Jerry at [email protected] or at 443-622-4891.

Bill

·
Registered
707 Posts
Small world eh?

I was a jerry house the other night and saw the bow sitting on the rack!

BTW guys, Jerry is a great guy and has excellent prices.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stag,

Jerry is a super guy to deal with. One of the smoothest buys I've experienced. He sent pictures of the Horne Mountain Bow to me, too. It is a gorgeous looking bow, too, and with the same limbs will be a great shooting bow, too. It may even be more forgiving due to the different riser design.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
nice wood combo, do you know what the wood is in the center of the riser?
how about the weight of the wood shafts compared to the carbons?

larry

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"My first impressions? A GORGEOUS, high quality bow!! Shoots very sweet, very quiet and very fast! It is probably the fastest bow I've ever owned/shot. That includes the Palmer recurve and Morrison ACSs and several Adcock ACSs."

The above states my first impressions of the Horne Ridge Runner recurve I just bought. I went to The Archery Shop and shot it indoors today, it was WAY too windy outdoors, for about 2 hours off and on. The following states my impressions after two times shooting the bow.

It is still the smoothest and quietest bow I have shot. Shooting it through the chrony revealed that it is the second fastest bow I have ever owned and shot. The Palmer double carbon recurve I had was actually faster than the Ridge Runner.

When I shot the Palmer, I was shooting it at 48#, I was shooting 447 gr Carbonwood VMaxx arrows, 9.31 gr/pdf, and I got an average of 195 fps with 5 arrows.

I had a Morrison ACS that I shot the same arrows with, at 53# or 8.43 gr/pdf, and got a 5 shot average of 188 fps.

Today I shot the Ridge Runner at 54#, with 5 arrows that averaged 437 gr, 8.09 gr/pdf, and I got a 5 shot average of 192 fps.

The OVERALL performance, which includes parameters other than speed, of the Ridge Runner far exceeds that of the Palmer, the Morrison ACS or any other bow I've owned. I've only onwned two bows that come close to it in shootability qualities, a 47#@27" Dale Stahl T/D recurve and the 53#@28" Marriah Thermal that I presently own.

The Ridge Runner is a great shooting bow, for me. I must qualify everything I'm stating by saying FOR ME!! Others very well may not have the same great shooting experience I have enjoyed with the Ridge Runner.

I will also note that although the Ridge Runner doesn't approach the speeds resulting from tests conducted by Norb Mullaney of some top name bows, I have found that the best combination for speed, smoothness, quietness and a stable shooting platform FOR ME is the Ridge Runner.

Larry,

The wood in the center is Shedua. I'm not sure about the weight of the wood shafts were. As you can see by the post above, when I tested it through the chrony today I shot carbons. And I was surprised to find that the double carbon limbed Palmer I once had was actually faster. And that was shooting almost 1.5 gr/pdf more than with the Ridge Runner. The Palmer was fast, but it did not have the smoothness, quietness and feel qualities of the Ridge Runner.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts