Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PROVIDED I FIGURED OUT THIS COMPUTER, I BELIEVE I JUST POSTED THIS IN THE "BOW PROJECTS" SECTION, BUT I WANTED TO ATTEMPT TO POST HERE AS WELL, IN THE HOPES OF THAT AN EVEN HIGHER NUMBER OF KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE MIGHT SEE IT...

Hello everyone. I recently joined this forum b/c I'm just getting into traditional archery after having shot/hunted with a compound off and on for the past 35 years. I recently acquired my first trad bow, "The Royal" longbow made by Wes Wallace. The bow is used (made approx. 17 yrs. ago) and had what appeared to be a film all over the finish. Although I do not know which specific finish Mr. Wallace uses, I do know it is a 2 part epoxy type.

With your knowledge of these types of finishes, and of trad bows in general, I wondered if the bow could/should be cleaned with a rag dampened with 91% isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
赛
614 Posts
Natty -

Not quite so simple. What you have is called amine or amide blush and is the bane of epoxy finish users. Older epoxies (such as you have, assuming the finish is original) were a lot more prone to it; epoxy chemistry has improved a bunch over the years. Sometimes you can remove it with soap & water and a woven plastic dish scrub pad and a lot of elbow grease, but sometimes not. Sometimes when you get it all scrubbed off, it comes right back again a liitle while later. Sometimes you have to strip it down to the bare wood and refinish.

I'd take the bow to a good refinisher for an opinion.

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: Natty Bumpo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU for the information. I'm getting back to you a few days late because I'm around a computer only once or twice a week, and this was the first chance I had to check for replies.

But thanks again!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Call Wes Wallace and ask him about the finish. My Royal is about the same age. When a tip lam came off I called him about fixing it. No charge, but I decided to get it refinished, about $100. He also added new tip overlays at no charge. He said that was an upgrade. By the way I am the second owner and I told him this up front. His comment about the limb tip was, " my bows don't break". Great customer service for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts