Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
200 fps arrows out of a recurve.

4 layers of the stress relief foam padding that you stand on. I'll probably add another 4 layers and call it done. The mesh on the back is 1 inch plastic fencing. The front has thin fake grass (to be replaced with burlap when it wears out).

Probably $40 (and crap laying around) in parts.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nice thing about the floor mat stuff is that it is light weight and won't soak up water. I only used the astroturf because it was laying around.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What size is the overall target?
How easy is it to pull the arrows?

Please report back later, as I am curious how the foam holds up with a lot of shooting.

I'm looking to make a nice 4 x 4 size target for the yard this spring.

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Excellent idea Erik! I like the use of the interlocking floor mats which I've been pondering making a 4' x 4' target for the 120 cm FITA face. This would be an alternative to purchasing a Whitetail target face. I think if you went full size (ie. four mats interlocked together in layers) you could rotate them as needed upon wear.

With regard to the issue of "wear" I think if you cut out some horse stall mat material as the final backing you would have a target that would literally last years.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft
I've used the same 4'x6' piece of horse stall mat as a general backstop behind my bag targets for eight (8) years and it still stops broad heads to field points from my compound to longbow.

Thanks again for the great idea.

LBL

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
It's so nice to see green grass on the ground where you are. Nothing but snow and cold in my area....

I think some layered burlap in your target would help stop the arrows sooner. Scrap carpeting is also a good stopper when layered. Also, the foam kick boards used in swimming are great arrows stoppers.

I made a large burlap target bag and old clothes. Got a large used burlap sack that was used to hold coffee beans and stuffed it tight and compressed it with a couple ratchet straps. We've been shooting at it for a couple years now and have re-sacked it when the burlap started getting worn out.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I built one similar using 3 packs of the same type "floor mats," only I put them inside of a cardboard box. $30.00

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
That's a fine target sir....I went cheap old school, been using a bale press....let me see....forever. $15 worth of AllThread, some scrap lumber, and three bales @ $4 apiece. Yours moves easier though....

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
That's a fine target sir....I went cheap old school, been using a bale press....let me see....forever. $15 worth of AllThread, some scrap lumber, and three bales @ $4 apiece. Yours moves easier though....
Never had luck with bails, maybe the compression is the ticket?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Compress them between two 2x6s with 1/2" AllThread and they'll stop a compound. If the penetration is still more than you'd like just tighten them up some more. I added a rubber truck bed mat behind mine.....I spend a lot of time up close for blank bale.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted something a bit more portable :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I apologize eriks, sorry if I offended, that was never my intention.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is a 48"x48" Third Hand Archery DIY target that will stop anything and lasts about forever.

Besides 32" & 48" target skins for the do it yourself er, they also have fill it yourself target bags that take a licking and keep on stopping arrows.

The 48"x48" target is not light with the 2x12 frame and legs add more weight, but once you fill it with old clothes, lots of old clothes, lol. No one is stealing that puppy without a forklift.

Check out Third Hand Archery's DIY target skins.
I plan to build the 48x48 model this spring myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts