Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you do them and if so how often?
I've done them before in a half hearted way but coming back from arm problems again my TP hit me so I decided to work on draw, get on target, pull through, let down. It's really hard and shows up my Tourette's like flinch straight away but I really think it will build a stronger shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I take two arrows to the range...and never shoot the second one. Always bring it to target, align with the target, set my gap, begin expansion, and then let down. I do everything exactly the same but I never loose that arrow.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
I've done them in the past and will soon be returning to them. I'm still ensuring I've defined 'expansion' to my satisfaction. Then, it's holding drills to ensure that, as Matt says, my trigger isn't the arrow on the gold but expansion.

Reactions: Jon Lewis

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
I think these drills are important for all of us, but especially those who tend to flinch, snap shoot, target panic, et al. And those who have not yet figured out back tension.

Short story: I taught some 13 year old girls. After a few sessions a father asked for some help as he was a snap shooter. I gave him the 'shoot/let down' drill. He was to draw, anchor, transfer and prepare to expand. Then his daughter was to tell him whether to shoot or let down. She made him let down the first three times. Clever girl! Some wives also really like to tell their husband what to do and have him do it. - lbg

Reactions: Jon Lewis

·
markliep
687 Posts
As part of warm ups & then anytime that I release before settling ... I seem to release too early from feeling draw weight as early releases seem to occur after the 3rd arrow in a series - am looking at stabilizing my alignment as doing better in that dept seems to allow for a longer hold above then onto target - M

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have not shoot a clicker. But from what I know the clicker is for the final expansion/release, not the hold. Most feel it as well as hear it. I might be wrong there, but that's my understanding. It a draw checker. I just want to answer the question, not hijack.
Dan

·
Registered
607 Posts
DDD, I shot a clicker for nine years and you are correct. Holding after the click probably adds little value to the shot. but running the entire shot click and let down adds a lot of value to the control part of the shot. Most of the people I know that put a clicker on the bow were looking for some help with TP. My clicker was all stealthy and was a feel more then a hear. The draw check is just an added bonus for most people and not the primary reason most put one on. You can still have TP even with a clicker so doing let down drills is still important to help gain control. That is just my take from someone that shot one for 9 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Olympic archers have a exercise with a clicker

SPT 3 - Flexibility
This exercise is done with an arrow in the bow and for safety reasons close up in front of a target butt. Draw the bow in the normal manner and attain the normal Holding position, followed by a ten second continuous expansion at normal expansion speed. The objective is to draw 1 - 1.5cm (~3/8" - 5/8") past the clicker, without any change in posture. Do 5 sets of 6 repetitions and take a rest of 30secs between each repetition and 2 minutes rest between each set.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Credit to you all, but..

Doesn't anyone just "stretch a string" to have fun??

If, every time I shot, I concentrated on form, draw length, angle to target, you name it; I would give up archery.

I'm way too old to work hard at having fun.

Good wine may improve with age, old men don't.. LOL

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
LMBO! Webster I do both! For real! But I also enjoy getting better so I have more braggin' rights when the guys get together on a 3D course! If you shoot many 5s you're likely to bear the brunt of the hassling for the rest of the round!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks, longrifle346,

I have no intention of getting better, but I do work at not getting worse.. LOL

One year, guys at camp, saw me sitting up next a tree, taking some shots.

"WTH are you doing"?

Told them, that where I intended to huint, no stand up shots, no tree stands, had to hunker on the ground and shoot my bow at a 45 degree angle..

Form doesn't mean much, if anytrhing, under those circumstances. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts