Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title really

Where does the three fingers under string holding technique come from?

I've been told it's North American, possibly 'invented' post first world war.

Is it really that modern?

No ancient / older cultures around the world used it?

Why?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Art Young used it, as have many for hundreds if years prior

In fact all forms of releasing an arrow have been around and used by various cultures since the bow was discovered, split finger, 3 under, 2 under, pinch nock, and thumb lock, nothing is new

Reactions: Microphonic

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I believe there is a tapestry from Europe which shows archers in the middle ages shooting 3 under. But then again they never were the most anatomically correct illustrations back then.

-Grant

Reactions: Microphonic

·
Registered
291 Posts
As per title really

Where does the three fingers under string holding technique come from?

I've been told it's North American, possibly 'invented' post first world war.

Is it really that modern?

No ancient / older cultures around the world used it?

Why?
There is an old thread on Tradtalk titled "Apache Hold" which has good info on this, particularly from 'gray squirrel' and 'the other DWS'. They make a lot of sense. It will be interesting if anyone else chimes in. Cheers

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
As explained to me by an acquaintance whose neighbor knew a guy who was friends with his second cousin, twice-removed, who lived just down the road from an ancient ancestor of a man who claimed to have personally shared a cave with the inventor of the bow and arrow back 63,999 years ago, the bow and arrow were designed to be shot with three fingers under. ;)

So, the question in my mind is "what is the history of split-finger?" :sbrug: :lol:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It originated from an early Tribe of NDN's called the Craine tribe in Texas. It is often said they also stringwalked and had hundreds of Bows a piece?:shooting:
Same tribe also developed the first art of watercolor painting, to decirate their bows

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I believe there is a tapestry from Europe which shows archers in the middle ages shooting 3 under. But then again they never were the most anatomically correct illustrations back then.

-Grant
Did the tapestry show them arguing about whether or not it was traditional or if they were aiming instinctively or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wonder if ancient archers whiled away the hours with incessant discussions on arrow spine, brace height, anchor points, string walking, recurves versus long bows, .....
Since their form of "internet" was based on drum beats and smoke signals, I'm going to guess ... no. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all the sensible answers :)

I'm going to check out all the links and old threads y'all pointed me to for sure.

I'm not really interested in whether it's 'traditional' or not, more if there were technical or practical reasons for it being used / not being used.

Like, (STUPID QUESTION FROM A PLASTIC NOCK ONLY USER ALERT) would self nocked arrows be prone to coming off the string at full draw unless the nock was lightly 'held' via the split finger method? (or another method that wasn't two or three or whatever under)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.