Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have stringwalked with Border HEX6 limbs,

What nock point height and tiller do you use?

What distance did you optimize your crawl to, and what length is the crawl?

I am finding that I am way negative and very high with the nock point, tuning to about a 1 inch crawl. It is shooting pretty good but it just does not seem right. I feel like starting over.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For longer distance 40 yards plus I had even tiller and fairly high nock point.
I never got anything I liked for distance under 30m.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
5/8" NP, 6&5/8" BH. 66" Shorts. 32# on my fingers. 28.5" triple 700.

Tip of chin 60 to 80 yards plus crawl and aim off shelf. Facecwalk plus crawl 7 yards to 60 yards.

Tuned for 40 yards.

Kurly vanes.

The arrow flight is as good as my release.

Gary's adjustable springy for 3D. Usually a Bieter plunger and mag flipper for field.

My advice is get a good tune at 40 yards. Start shooting. In a couple of seasons you will have it tuned lol

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I am finding that I am way negative and very high with the nock point, tuning to about a 1 inch crawl. It is shooting pretty good but it just does not seem right. I feel like starting over.
SNAP!

Go with it.

It's a while but I think I had -10mm tiller and still had a highish NH.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have settled on a +11/16" nocking point and 1/16" negative tiller. I optimized my tune for a 25 yard distance achieved with a crawl of 5/8."

Keeping in mind that I have large hands and a very high anchor.

Mark

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
Hank, I have been following this thread with interest. I don't have Hex6 limbs, but have been spending time shooting with a set crawl. As far as tuning, I have what you described in your OP. Negative tiller and a high nock point with a 1 1/8" crawl. Here's a tuning thread where I received some helpful advice.

I think that I have read somewhere that the Hex6 limbs are tillered specifically for a lower/upper limb placement. If this is the case, and the top limb is tillered for split finger then it would be slightly weaker than the lower limb. I would think it would then require even more preload than equal tiller limbs would require. More preload equals more negative tiller.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am shooting 43.5# on my fingers at 30" of draw. Shooting a 306 grain McKinney II arrow with a three finger under release, my anchor for a point on at 70 meters is my index finger right below the corner of my mouth with my thumb saddle behind my jaw bone and zero crawl.

Mark

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that provided input. I have been away in Seattle on business for the past 6 days. I will read all of this tomorrow and see if I have any follow up questions.

Also, I received my new Falco longbow while I was away so now I have that to work on for the next few weeks to prepare for the IBO Western Trad shoot. It really shoots well. I will have more on that in a later post.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like folks vary from even to high negative on the tiller, but all consistently agree on a high nock point, some very high. Since I will be competing with my longbow for the next few months, I will have time to experiment to see what feels and shoots the way I like. I am still shooting my recurve in an indoor league but I will be focusing a lot on my longbow outdoors.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,718 Posts
Hi,
Did anyone find his Hex6 too sensitive to nocking point height?
I had problems with arrow hitting the riser until I found the exact NH.
If I set NP a little lower than optimum NH and bare shaft hit high and left. Set it back and the BS hit low but centered.
Really cannot understand why.
My actual NH is 7/16”.
I will try it some more and also will try other strings too tomorrow.
Thanks
Martin.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi,
Did anyone find his Hex6 too sensitive to nocking point height?
We have 3 sets of Hex 6 at the club, fantastic limbs and all shot split-finger with a low brace height. I'm in no way an expert on stringwalking, but I wonder whether a technique that essentially tunes the bow out of balance is the best approach to super-recurves, whose massive hook would like be much more sensitive to tiller differences. My feeling is that walking might be better suited to 'placid' limbs with a low conventional curve. But then I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'd be interested to hear what the Sids think about shooting their supersonic limbs out of tiller?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts