Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally been able to get to full draw, get my sight picture where I want it, get back tension set and keep it there. I'm trying to get the feather to touch my nose before I drop the string. Sort of like pulling through the clicker.
My wife tells me that the feather is less than 1/8" from my nose before I try to get it back that last little bit. I tell myself to keep pulling, keep pulling... But try as I might I can't get the bugger back another 1/8". I'm missing some kind of physical act, some muscle action but I can't put my finger on it. When I do release my hand comes straight back so I know my back tension is ok. I'm also shooting better than I ever have but I want this last little piece of the puzzle.

What am I doing wrong, not doing right, missing etc. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Get up close to the bale and close your eyes and see if you can draw through to the feather. If you can then it's psychological if you cant then your feather is in the wrong position on your arrow

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Your feathers are too far forward on the shaft - move them back 1/8"! (sorry couldn't resist) :D This actually might be a solution if you are otherwise pleased with your form and the results you're getting..

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Are you transferring all the effort to your scapulae?

I find there's a 'drop' in both scapulae after reaching full draw (transfer) that allows further, easier expansion. The 'drop' is (as best I can make out) the downward and inward movement of both scapulae.

The best visualisation I could find is this:

The arrows show the effects of the scapular movement. The head is kept (stretched) up while you are expanding.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Have someone check and see if you are fully in-line. if you are then what Dave said move your feathers back 1/8. Both my shooting buddy and myself can not pull that extra 1/8in once we are in-line unless we change our form, not the recommended solution.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use Joel's method too but sometimes I don't get it right the first shot even though my jig is marked. If it's just too far away to keep me at my comfortable draw length I'll pull it and reposition. If it's too close I trim it back a little at a time until I get exactly what I need. It's a great way to keep consistency in your draw length.....

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
You can learn a lot by your follow through. Where is your follow through going? If it is going straight back then you are pulling back instead of expanding. If you are doing this, you may have run out of runway and can't pull any more. Regardless, it is not correct since you will not be unwrapping your fingers from the string. If you are following through in a more circular fashion ending in the center of the back of your neck (touching) then there is a better chance that you are expanding correctly. Another sign of a correct expansion is that your hand never loses contact with your face. It is possible that you are somewhere in between. The process is sensitive to exactly how you are pulling and can change from shot to shot. Looking at your follow through is a good way to see what is going on. It is not a fix.

·
Registered
607 Posts
We have found that when setting up the feather to use as a trigger, you are better setting it up for at least 30yds. Not sure if it is the head position while aiming, or the fact that it takes longer to aim because we do not see as well at 30yds as we do at 5yds. In any case if you do that the close shots will not be a problem. We all set it up close at first, very easy to touch but struggled at the farther distances. Once we made the switch no problem for any of us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts