Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my first 'good' recurve earlier this year (a Hoyt Tiburon) I've been bitten hard by the trad bug and I'd like to get a custom take- down recurve. I'm intending to use it for big game hunting (Red deer, Elk, sheep and Fallow deer) so I'm looking for a bow which will have a very smooth draw to help compensate a little for the heavier poundage (I'm thinking 55#).

At the moment I'm really drawn to the Blacktail bows, mainly because of aesthetics, but I've heard brilliant reviews regarding their performance as well. Are they worth the $$ ? Furthermore, would it be better spending less on an Ebony riser or going for the more expensive Snakewood risers ? What difference do various woods make ?

Any other brands worth looking at ? My max budget is around $2500.00. I'd like a bow which I can hang onto for a very long time (lifetime), so quality is a top priority. The bow will be exposed to snow, rain, ice, tussock grass etc. so durability is also important.

Any other brand recommendations, or is Blacktail a good way to go ?

Thanks everyone. And I'm not looking at ILF. :p So don't even think about mentioning it haha.

Cheers
AJ

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cecil,

I can't try beforehand unfortunately as NZ is so far away from the US and we don't have that great a range of bows down here. The most 'custom' bow I've seen was a Black Widow PMA.

I'm pretty much going to have to make a decision going by other peoples reviews and what the bows look like. :)

Cheers mate.
AJ

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
If you haven't seen it already, check out JParanee's videos about the new Covert Hunter from Border on this forum. I've been e-mailing with Sid about the new bow and got myself a spot on the queue. From what I've seen and read so far, it is one heck of a recurve and Border can work with you to get it exactly the way you want it. Price-wise, it is around the $2k USD mark with custom options factored in. Perhaps shipping would be better from Scotland to NZ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, it's hard to beat a Black Widow, both for shooting and for a bow that holds it's value. A true classic, shoots like a house on fire, and will last a lifetime. Somewhat expensive, and heavy, but well built, and will do the job for what you need. Just a consideration. Like stated before, there are a lot of fine bows out there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you have that sort of money, then definitely look at Border bows.
I've never seen one in the flesh but they sure take one heck of a photo.
A bit closer to home are Huntsman bows by Mark Kimber in Australia.
Their also a very beautiful bow that leaves nothing behind in the performance stakes.
Here's an idea,,buy a lump of highly grained swamp kauri from Awanui's Kauri kingdom and send it to mark for your riser.
What he sends back will become a family heir loom and you can truthfully say your bow is over one million years old.

John.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. The thing which puts me off Border is the short warranty. As a college student I'm quite anxious spending over 2 grand and not getting a life-time warranty. :)

I'm sure they shoot bloody well though and last forever. Maybe sometime in the future !

I've considered a BW...they are very nice, but I've heard that they aren't as good as other bows performance wise. The warranty, service, quality etc seems to be top notch though.

Trad bows are so difficult. :/

At the moment I'm swinging between Blacktail and Blackwidow...unless something else pops up. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, just checked out the 'Covert Hunter' by Border. :eek: Wowe. That is some serious technology.

Is Jparanee the only dude on here with one ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm just going to go ahead and order a Blacktail Snakebit footed with ebony.

They have a lifetime warranty, they're works of art and they shoot well according to reviews. Any last input from you guys ? Are they decent rigs for hunting ?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts