Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I figure someone will know where to find this.

I'm wanting to make a magnetic fluid (google ferrofluid to see some neatness) and one way to make it is by combining a fine magnetic powder (such as magnaflux) with an oil.

The problem is that magnaflux is hard to find it seems, especially in small quantities. I know how to get 10 gallons of it, but obviously I will only need enough to fill a soda can or even less.

Anyone know where to order this in smaller amounts?

-R

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Magnaflux 7HF Prepared Bath 16oz aerosol

| Add to watch list
Seller information
ajwebsales (2996 )
99.9% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
See other items
AdChoice - opens in a new window or tab
Item Information
Item condition:
New other (see details)
Quantity:
10 available
Price:
US $10.98
Buy It Now

Add to cart
Best Offer:

Make Offer

1 watcher
Add to watch list
Add to collection

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Call your local automotive machine shop and ask if they magneflux cylinder heads/blocks or do they out source that work. Either way if they outsource it locally, you will have a place you can go buy some.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found 1 lbs at goodson.com for $9.99. Getting it in white so I doesn't stain clothes quite as badly once it is turned to ferrofluid. Thanks for the input.

The ferrofluid is just for its own sake and for students to play with.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Found 1 lbs at goodson.com for $9.99. Getting it in white so I doesn't stain clothes quite as badly once it is turned to ferrofluid. Thanks for the input.

The ferrofluid is just for its own sake and for students to play with.

=================

Hello
Back to the question at hand.

? What do you wish to do with it?

==============

Well I watch the U Tube. It gave me one idea of use for archery.[ Later

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
=================

Hello
Back to the question at hand.

? What do you wish to do with it?

==============

Well I watch the U Tube. It gave me one idea of use for archery.[ Later
What's that?

Magnaflux in powder form is used to find cracks in metal, which is obviously useful for metal risers.

It seems that it would be good to fill in crevices in magnetic metals so as to increase mass.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello
I have this stabilizer end weight. Made back in the late 60's, by a local archery machinist. That shot at our club.
The end weight had mercury in it. Would explode at time of shot. And regain its shape after the shot.

The last U tube demonstration. Where as the solution was added to a plate. Then a magnet was place in the dish. And that circle motion by he magnet, sure got my attention. ;) [ Later

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello
I have this stabilizer end weight. Made back in the late 60's, by a local archery machinist. That shot at our club.
The end weight had mercury in it. Would explode at time of shot. And regain its shape after the shot.

The last U tube demonstration. Where as the solution was added to a plate. Then a magnet was place in the dish. And that circle motion by he magnet, sure got my attention. ;) [ Later
The magnaflux comes in several colors. Imagine a stabilizer that is made of a plexiglass cylinder and then had the magnaflux in oil and then in water. You could even place some magnets in certain areas.

It wouldn't add to performance, but it might certainly do some cool things after the shot to look at ;) Quite a conversation piece maybe?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts