Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking and reading on this site since October. Primarily been shooting compound, but started taking up recurve. After a lot of reading purchased a titan 3 around Christmas and put a set of 30# axiom limbs on it for practicing.
(weight at full draw is 30.2#)
I have a 26.75" draw length and am just now starting to pick arrows for tuning. (just been shooting hundreds of arrows with a weak spine).
recently picked up some carbon/wood black max's for when I get to the point that I am confident enough to hunt with the recurve (weight at full draw is 48.9#)
I am open to shaft suggestions for above two sets of limbs, but mainly just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for the excellent information available on here.

Jeff

·
Bart Harmeling
3,381 Posts
Welcome to TT.

Lots of variables with arrows. Some are shooting longer arrows to help with aiming, and your point weight will impact the dynamic spine of your arrow. 3River has a spine calculator on their site that has a large selection of shafts. I'd suggest you use it to try some theoretical setups. You can check for dynamic spine, arrow weight, FOC and arrow speed. Help you narrow the field before you buy.

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Is that 26.75" DL to the throat of the grip or AMO? What spine are you currently shooting?

-Grant

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeff! I'm hoping to get down to your part of the country next year, maybe try and kill another pig, and a little bow fishing.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that 26.75" DL to the throat of the grip or AMO? What spine are you currently shooting?

-Grant
26.75" to back of bow, had a dozen 800 spine, but those are too weak and I can't shorten them enough, so I picked up some .600 spine today.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
26.75" to back of bow, had a dozen 800 spine, but those are too weak and I can't shorten them enough, so I picked up some .600 spine today.
Not to be a pain, but something isn't adding up here. 800 cut to 27" will shoot out of a 35# bow without issue for 95% of the population. An ultralight 600 might work if you leave it full length.
What arrow rest are you using? Tab or glove?

-Grant

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to be a pain, but something isn't adding up here. 800 cut to 27" will shoot out of a 35# bow without issue for 95% of the population. An ultralight 600 might work if you leave it full length.
What arrow rest are you using? Tab or glove?

-Grant
using a tab, shooting off the shelf. Also am using my SFA software and plugging in all my numbers to come up with the recommended spine. Draw weight is actually 35.2# not 30.2#. Shooting bareshaft the arrow (.800) is flying weak (it's 30"), based on the software I should be slightly weak at 30" with the 600 spine with a 100 grain point, d97 string, tied in upper and lower nock and brace height set at 7.75"

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
That makes much more sense. I was thinking ~30# with a 27" arrow.

Just be sure you get a lightweight 600. The GT Velocity Hunter is my favorite.

-Grant

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That makes much more sense. I was thinking ~30# with a 27" arrow.

Just be sure you get a lightweight 600. The GT Velocity Hunter is my favorite.

-Grant
got the gold tip wood grain traditional 1535. (only thing they had in a 600)

would there be any reason not to work on the blank bale with the .800 spines?
this way they would still be useful since I wouldn't be trying to hit a target.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts