Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a newbie question for you. I began shooting a recurve 2 months ago. After getting some good advise from you folks on form/arrow selection and footing my carbons (GREAT tip) I don't destroy them when I miss now. I began working on the blank bale and now shot pretty decent group @ 18 yds when I execute well. I still don't shoot @ a target as I'm working on form and consistency. The issue I'm having now is my draw length has lengthened. When I go to expand when I reach anchor (middle finger in the corner of my mouth) my expansion causes my finger to move slightly further back. So to keep the same anchor point my head turns a little and I definitely see wilder shots and effects my sight picture. Any help/ tip would be great. I'm trying to deal with issue as they arise so as not to get bad habits.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
The issue I'm having now is my draw length has lengthened. When I go to expand when I reach anchor (middle finger in the corner of my mouth) my expansion causes my finger to move slightly further back.
My take:

As far as expansion is concerned, while the movement may feel like it's a push forwards and a pull backwards, in reality it's not.

The push forwards is correct although the amount of leeway for movement should be almost negligible.

The pull backwards, once at anchor and expansion has started, is actually a rotation of the elbow around the back of your head. The rotation of the elbow should keep your hand close to your face on release.

Try some blank bale focusing either on the movement path of the elbow or keeping your hand 'sliding along' your face on release. Find what works for you.

When you've sorted that give some time to ensuring that at anchor and prior to expansion the push-pull FEELING is 50:50.

The reason your fingers shouldn't move is that you are no longer pulling them straight back but your elbow is rotating with them staying fixed. Keep your head looking forward. Your face will thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be releasing as my fingers moved back.
Or looking for a different anchor if holding at full expansion is what I wanted.
Turning your head is always going to be bad for something.

John.
That's what I had been doing and changed it. I was trying for a perfect alignment to tighten my groups @ 20yds. I was somewhat confused in expansion by some saying they "expand and release" and thought it was 2 separate steps. Now I believe they were meaning "expand TO Release" Meaning during expansion hold my anchor and relax fingers to release. The expansion triggers release and follow through. I think I may have just needed more practice @ 20yds to tighten groups.
Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Rod Jenkins says use your back muscles to pull your finger off the string. Fingers do not relax. Think of it like this, your fingers (and wrist to the elbow) are hooked on the string in the same plane as the arrow. Then your elbow starts to move to your back and that change the DIRECTION of the fingers hooked on the string. It opens it up without the fingers moving and all of a sudden the string is gone.

Hope that makes sense, hard to explain.

Bowmania

1 - 6 of 6 Posts