Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Struggle with it too. This is one of the weaknesses of shooting with the 'burn a hole' instinctive method - you need a spot to grab onto.

If the gold is too large and the target's fresh I find it hard. I have been 'drawing' in mind lines crossing the target, a large X, through center. That seems to work but is an extra mental process that I have to switch on. Sometimes an existing arrow can help if there is one as I then can imagine a spot next to it in the gold 'right there'.

Really system shooting is better for such situations. Just the way it is. Instinctive shooters (or 'instinctive gap'/split-vision aimers like myself) have to work the imagination.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Not really a 'problem' IMO just a challenge of perception and focus. Exagerrated example: stand 10m away from a 2m diameter blank white disc and most will struggle to aim and group at the center, simply because there is nothing to aim at - there is no guide.

On a typical target size and setting without an 'x' in the gold, the stringwalker has the advantage as they can put their actual point 'in the middle' of the gold just as anyone can point at the center of a plate. A conscious gapper can put their point on a known specific ring or other visual feature below or above and trust in their knowledge that it will send the arrow to gold .

Us instinctive aimers have either our imagination to 'project' a spot inside that circle, or use the kind of Zen-like autopilot LBG seems to have mastered. I'm not there yet, always looking to put arrows on real (or imaginary) spots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts