Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my worn out "Archery target" with 2 hay bales, and the difference is everything I hoped for and then some.

I launch in my backyard, and the Archery target was loud. Loud enough for my neighbors to hear for sure. The less ppl know about what I'm doing, the better.

More than that though, my groups vastly improved as well. I took a piece of old carbon arrow and stuck it in the bale, for a focus point, and it makes a huge difference for me. Maybe having too much target, even though I tried to focus intently on one spot, was causing some kind of target panic, I don't know.
It was especially bad if I tried to use any bow other than the AF Archery Tatar bow that I shoot most of the time. Why I don't know. Every bow I have tried is now grouping about the same for me.

If these hay bales even hold up for only 1000 arrows or so, that's money well spent at only $11.69/each.

If you are a backyard launcher, this might work for you as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Replaced my worn out "Archery target" with 2 hay bales, and the difference is everything I hoped for and then some.

I launch in my backyard, and the Archery target was loud. Loud enough for my neighbors to hear for sure. The less ppl know about what I'm doing, the better.

More than that though, my groups vastly improved as well. I took a piece of old carbon arrow and stuck it in the bale, for a focus point, and it makes a huge difference for me. Maybe having too much target, even though I tried to focus intently on one spot, was causing some kind of target panic, I don't know.
It was especially bad if I tried to use any bow other than the AF Archery Tatar bow that I shoot most of the time. Why I don't know. Every bow I have tried is now grouping about the same for me.

If these hay bales even hold up for only 1000 arrows or so, that's money well spent at only $11.69/each.

If you are a backyard launcher, this might work for you as well.
Definitely can relate to getting TP with traditional target forms. Can't stand shooting at coloured concentric circles. I need a spot, any spot. On 3D I have no problem, but best of all personally is stumping or just doing what I do on our big and hilly lawn, aim at leaves, daisies, a little spot of brown. No need to care of the distances. Walk back, kneel, move around. Doesn't get better than that for me. A hay bale is also great as it has all that detail, and you can just do as you have, create a spot on it. You don't need a rainbow of circles around it unless you're scoring.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I remember using bales when I was younger shooting recurves then when I went to compounds arrows would blow through. Now back to recurves bales may be a good option for me again.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Ya, Tractor Supply Company. Straw lasts much longer than hay does and compressed straw even longer. Rice straw longer still. - lbg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts