Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm shooting my first competition this weekend. Not sure what association it is but it is 14 2D targets and 14 3D targets out to 50 meters (I think).

As my distance increases my arrows are moving to the left. at 13 yards they are slightly right then slowly start to shift left. From 20 to 35 they seem good.

The pictures are 13, 40, 45, 50 and 55 yards. The 55 yard was shot with me aiming the width of one arrow (at the riser) to the right of the dot.

Not sure if it is my aim moving somehow, doesn't seem to be the tune as I shot a BS at each distance. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
What is your setup?

I had the same problem with the Moon riser and corrected with an adjustment with the string blur, I dont have this issue with the vanquish it shoots down the line at all distances but that is an expensive solution :p

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm going to lurk on this thread if you don't mind Zulu ... I'm having the same issues.

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Walk back tune... by the way the BS is way left at the longer yardages, you need to re-tune at that yardage and then see where that gets you.

Got to "tuning for tens"....http://www.texasarchery.org/BoardMembers/RickStonebrakerPages/TuningForTens/TuningForTens.html

6B. PATTERN ANALYSIS OF THE FALLING GROUPS

FOR LEFT-HAND ARCHERS

If the arrows fall to the left side of center, stiffen the SPRING(CW) until the arrows are in the center line.

If the arrows fall to the right side of center, weaken the SPRING(CCW) until the arrows are in the center line.

FOR RIGHT-HAND ARCHERS

If the arrows fall to the left side of center, weaken the SPRING (CCW) until the arrows are in the center line.

If the arrows fall to the right side of center, stiffen the SPRING (CW) until the arrows are in the center line.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your setup?

I had the same problem with the Moon riser and corrected with an adjustment with the string blur, I dont have this issue with the vanquish it shoots down the line at all distances but that is an expensive solution :p
I have a Pinnacle ll and winex longs, 46# on the fingers with a flipper rest.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rsarns,

I don't have a plunger. What that tuning guide is saying is that my arrows are shooting stiff?

What about the 13 yard group where it would seem the arrows are weak?

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Walk back tune... by the way the BS is way left at the longer yardages, you need to re-tune at that yardage and then see where that gets you.
The BS does seem to be left but on the other hand I can not shoot tight groups like you blokes. It would probably be better if I had perhaps 3 bare shafts to shoot at once with 3 fletched arrows.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Either you are moving the string blur with distance (maybe) or you are just on the stiff side of the tune (probably). Just a touch more BH or a little more preload would solve that.

I find that after I walkback tune and then do some shooting in the woods when I go to shoot a BS it'll be a little weak.

-Grant

Reactions: Zulu

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Zulu, when I walk back tune I start at 10 yards, aim at a piece of tape (vertical), and when it hits center, go back 5 yards. AS I go back I have to adjust the tune to keep it centered. Once I get it hitting center at 35 yards, I call it good. (for a 3D bow). I then start over at 10 yards and it should be perfect. That is if the arrow has been tuned correctly for my setup. My compound I walk back tune to 50 yards.

·
Registered
607 Posts
For me it has to do with my vision. Out to about 30yds my eye sight is about equal, but once I get to 40yds and farther I am definite cross dominate. At those yardages I use the shelf material as my guide for left and right shots. It is usually not the arrow if my bare shafts are good to 30yds but that is just me.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rsarns and Grantmac got it right, thanks fellows.

Turned in limb bolts 1/4 turn and bang on the money, you gotta love the ILF system. BS show slightly weak at 50 and 55, I can actually see the arrow tailing to the left slightly but the fletched shafts are center at all distances (not great groups but averaging center). Not sure how it managed to correct the slight right impact at the short range!

Thanks again all.

Steve Morely, I'm curious as to how your Vanquish sorted out your problem, not that I'm in the market for one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.