Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shooting for the past two or three years has been fair, but nowhere near the level I once was, nor want to be.

Today I spent most of the day dissecting my shot sequence, and evaluating the effect/results I was getting.

I have suspected I had a grip problem for a long time now, but was just to hard headed to really work on it.

Well today I put my hardheadedness aside, and faced up to some realities.
Started shooting with an open handed grip, and voila - my accuracy immediately took a huge leap for the best. I was feeling the shots, and drilling golf balls at 50 yards better than half the time. The other half weren't missing by far.

It still felt insecure to me, so I made me a wrist sling just to keep the thought of dropping the bow out of my head. Just a braided paracord bolted into the stabilizer bushing, that isn't tight, but provides me all the security I need to keep from thinking about it.

All is now well in Rick's world of archery. :)

Reactions: Greysides

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Wrist sling is always the way to go. Anybody got the Rod Jenkins homemade para sling link? I use them,,too bad some Shoots may frown on them but letting the Bow jump to target is where it is at, even on a Hill style Longbow!:shooting:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rick, well that was easily fixed. I use the Rod Jenkins wrist-thumb sling, works for me. A few months back I got sick of the sling, and within 1/2 doz shots without it, I dropped the bow. Thank god that it was on a nice piece of grass, not concrete.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Glad it worked well for ya Rick, I have to shoot with a relaxed grip. I got so use to shooting with a wrist sling from my wheel bow days that if I forget to slide my hand through it I can expect to watch my bow do tip springs toward the target.....

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Wow Rick if you can hit a golf ball at 50yds, I should try your type of sling. :cheers:

Here is the one I have been using lately, simple shoe lace tied into a loop.

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Note I said I was hitting the golf ball about 50% of the time, but that other 50% was scaring hell out of it . I'm still giddy about it. :)

Hoping to go shoot some 3D today, and see if the confidence holds up when there isn't a 6' hay bale there to catch the arrows.

I've always held the bow with just thumb & forefinger, but I've never really shot with a loose grip. Up until I started shooting 3 under I always shot with a cant, and a tighter grip seems to accommodate the cant just fine.

After switching to 3 under, without trying or even thinking about it, I started shooting the bow vertical. It just went there over time, and became the natural way to do it. Now I have to consciously think to & force a cant if needed.

Shooting vertical with a loose grip is hands down better for me. I can still shoot just fine canted, but I don't unless I need to.

I thought about trying a finger sling, but I can't stand the feeling from it. I don't like wearing rings, heck even a wrist watch drive me crazy.
I don't even really notice the wrist sling, plus it is attached to the bow, so I don't have to worry about keeping up with it.

·
赛
614 Posts
Wow. Golf balls. I have these 1' x 1 'x 1' cubes of styrofoam and I feel pretty good if I poke a few of them and scare most of them at 50 yards.

But +1000 for the open grip; the opener the better.

Here's my own variation on the finger sling -

I hated screwing around with the thumb and forefinger loops of the typical finger sling, plus the forefinger loop always seemed to creep loose and looser. So with this one you use the thumb loop (on the right) as usual and then slip your fore - and middle fingers through the larger open loop (on the left) in figure eight style. When you're shooting the thumb loop stays on your hand and you free the bow from the sling as needed by slipping your fore - and middle fingers out of the figure eight loop. Works slick 'n easy.

Regards,

Salskov

1 - 15 of 15 Posts