Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most people shoot as far as grains per lb? I assume that bowyers have a reccommended grains per lb? Any particular bows know to shoot lower grains per lb... or any particular bow know to require heavy grains per lb?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You'll get a variety with that question but for me it depends on the bow and what I'm trying to do with it. Right now I'm using about 11.5 on a 44 pound longbow to get a point on of 25 yards. Gets me 168fps, pretty consistent sight picture til almost point on, and works great for our 3D tournaments where max yardage is ~25yds.

·
Registered
607 Posts
From looking at the Ashby report it looks like 11gpp is the most efficient hunting arrow so I try and shoot all my bows at or near that to keep the site picture as close as possible. I should add I am primarily a hunter but have shot that weight in 3d events and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hunting arrows,always as close to 10g as I can get em',,,within reason.
I'm not fussy about it.

Target arrows,down to 6.5g in the past.

John.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
6.5-20gpp depending on the application ;)

For gap shooting to 40yds I've been most successful with 32" arrows going 185fps, but if I could get a closer POD with faster ones I would.

Some bows won't warranty under 8gpp, they aren't for me.

-Grant

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
6.5-20gpp depending on the application ;)

For gap shooting to 40yds I've been most successful with 32" arrows going 185fps, but if I could get a closer POD with faster ones I would.

Some bows won't warranty under 8gpp, they aren't for me.

-Grant
a 100lbs bow cant be dry fired without HIGH risks of failure.

10lbs bows of the same model, can be dri fired from 28"

50lbs bows can be half drawn and released.

so we have a sliding scale.

between draw length and bow weight, from 5gpp to 9.5gpp approx.

due to different bows having different stored energies, there needs to be differences.

for example. if you require 200fps. some bows do this at 7gpp, and some at 10gpp.
why look down on the bow that does this at 10gpp because it has a higher minumum GPP.
(debates are debates mind... they open doors and help everyone in my view)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As stated, it depends on the application and the bowyer recommedations. Right now the two bows I shoot the most are my DAS and my Timberhawk. I have the Timberhawk set up for hunting and the bowyer recommends at least 8 gpp, so I am shooting 9.7 gpp (525 gr arrow 54# bow). The DAS has ILF limbs and can be shot with arrows down to 5 gpp. I wanted it set up for hunting/3D with the same arrow, so it is at 7.9 gpp (400 gr arrow, 50.5# bow).

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
55#@28
6.6 GPP CX Nano Pro 400s with elivanes S3 and 120 TP = 220FPS.
10.5 GPP Victory Vap 250s, 315 gr Ashby BH =188 FPS.

Rasyad

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
a 100lbs bow cant be dry fired without HIGH risks of failure.

10lbs bows of the same model, can be dri fired from 28"

50lbs bows can be half drawn and released.

so we have a sliding scale.

between draw length and bow weight, from 5gpp to 9.5gpp approx.

due to different bows having different stored energies, there needs to be differences.

for example. if you require 200fps. some bows do this at 7gpp, and some at 10gpp.
why look down on the bow that does this at 10gpp because it has a higher minumum GPP.
(debates are debates mind... they open doors and help everyone in my view)
Speed limits are a pretty reasonable way of doing things, but that would require an archer to actually possess a reasonably accurate chrono.

Personally I'd be disappointed with any target limbs that couldn't shoot 220fps due to arrow weight restrictions. That would be less of a factor for a hunting bow in my mind due to noise.

-Grant

Reactions: J-archer and Sid

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My arrows usually end up around 10-11 gpp. I don't really care as long as they are over 9 gpp. Lighter than that and my bows get a bit noisier than I like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts