Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in a well populated part of town. Last year, the water company created a 50 yard wide easement for several hundred yards in 'no-mans land' between our subdivision and what used to be a Wal-Mart. After exploring it a bit, I thought it would make a perfect archery range- no visibility from any homes, and because it is cutoff by a creek on one side and a shopping center on the other, nobody (besides me) goes there.

My wife wanted the basement cleaned out, so I took it upon my self to make a target using carpet remnants, scrap 2x4, and a couple of 1/4" x 36 inch threaded rods.

So we both got what we wanted :cheers: ...I know that isn't the perfect group, but I was doing some walkbacks to 40 yards.

Stacked carpet makes a great target- takes the arrows with almost no sound, and they pop right out. A compound might be a different story.
If you take it upon yourself to build a similar target, some suggestions- use 2x6 or even 2x8 lumber, and FOUR threaded rods instead of two, and cut enough carpet to stack about 150% of your desired target height. And be sure to add a carry handle. Not only is it heavy (about 45lb), that carpet and pad is squirrely stuff, and keeps wanting to pop out under compression. So for 36" threaded rod with no tension, I ended up with about a 24" tall target under a lot of compression (enough to bow the 2x4). If you use a single large threaded lag bolt to connect it to some sort of base, you can set your target up to swivel, giving you unlimited shooting options.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,781 Posts
Your little secret is now on the world wide web. There is an analyst in Langely looking at this post, even as we speak. He does not even have to re-position a satellite since you have already provided a picture.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your little secret is now on the world wide web. There is an analyst in Langely looking at this post, even as we speak. He does not even have to re-position a satellite since you have already provided a picture.
Great! Tell him to bring a bow and some lunch. I've been looking for a shooting buddy :)
(edit: but I am paranoid enough that I took the street address out of the picture :))

·
Registered
350 Posts
Shoot, after the rain we've had you probably HAD to get the carpet out of the basement :) I live in the city and we got a bit wet. Not as bad as some neighbors, but some ofthe cardboard boxes that haven't been unpacked (moved in 6 weeks ago) got wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.