Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First FF Flemish twist I have made.

Used some 8125 I got, the string same out well by my standards and to length with 35 twists in it. Brace at 8 1/2" but reckon it will stretch out to 8" which is what I'm aiming for.

Quite a nice camo sort of color which would be nice for the hunters out there. Really pleased with my effort.

Tomorrow I tackle the 8125 thin I posted about in an earlier post. I'm gonna make it with 16 strands of the black and pad the loops with an extra 2 strands per bundle of the regular 8125.

·
赛
614 Posts
Nice, nice, and nicer !!! Really sweet camo.

:D

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you show us further down? My problem is with the tag ends, and preventing "cabling". I never seem to get the right number of extra/counter twists to neutralize the making of the second loop.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry my camera work is not so good.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you show us further down? My problem is with the tag ends, and preventing "cabling". I never seem to get the right number of extra/counter twists to neutralize the making of the second loop.
I have seen some good and bad instructions.

Though I am by no means a pro the best way I found was once the first loop is made the bundles will twist. count the number of twists it takes to unwind and straighten the bundle then carry on twisting in the same direction for the same amount of turns. I normally add about 5 to that.

Rick Barbee also has a clip on how he counter twists the string for the portion after the loop.

I don't know how to post a link but will try.

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
Nice job ROD it looks nice

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Nice job! The more strings I make the pickier I get with them. I recently switched to making 3 bundle flemish twist strings and its very easy for me to avoid the slight cabling that annoyed me so much when I made a 2 bundle...

Feels good to be able to do it yourself doesn't it?

I go back and watch Mr. Barbee's YouTube video from time to time as a refresher :cheers:

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it's good to make your own stuff Mike.

Rick Barbee has a good tuturial. Be is also a helpfull man, answed a PM of mine on strings even though it's what he does for a living.

Would like to know some of his secrets! :)

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nuthatch, that's not my first.

I have made about 5 B50 strings. I could not get held of hew dacron but found some cheap endless loops that I dismantled and then twisted them up!

I think it's you that make some of the skinnier strings? If so I need your help on padding the ""thin" 8125 I got hold of.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Rod,

congrats on a fine string.

Looks like you are enjoying your new toys.

You have got your string made but I have not made your quiver yet.

My apologies for the delay.

I will be sending a quiver your way as soon as possible.

Could you PM me your shipping address.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Daniel,

I'm having the time of my life with my toys!

Made a video of my set up and shooting but really battling to post it on the internet.

No problems with the quiver, I know you're a busy man.

All the best.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,381 Posts
Nuthatch, that's not my first.

I have made about 5 B50 strings. I could not get held of hew dacron but found some cheap endless loops that I dismantled and then twisted them up!

I think it's you that make some of the skinnier strings? If so I need your help on padding the ""thin" 8125 I got hold of.
Starting with Dacron is smart. The material is inexpensive and fairly easy to work with. You can look at this thread to see how to pad the loops. Just scroll down a bit.

You'll need to experiment with the number of strands to use in your padding. 4 as opposed to 2 would give you a more pronounced taper. A quality that I believe helps reduce string slap.

Again, nice work.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That is a nice looking string. I have not tried to make a flemish before, only an endless loop. Would you say one is harder to make than the other and if so which one and why?

Thanks and congrats on a nice job.

Alan

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never made an endless, don't have a jig or a serving tool.

With only having to serve the center I do it by hand with mono of fluro of which I have plenty of sizes. People have told me they fail and are fragile, probablly true but I have one on my longbow for about 6 months now and it is still fine.

With the flemish you can deconstruct it ( if you don't have access to string material and remake it to the correct size). I see you had to make two strings for those beautiful new limbs you got ;) With a flemish you could adjust it shorter or longer (assuming your tag ends were made longer than the minimum specified)

I'm sure the stringmakers on here just twist up a new one but if you're counting pennies like me it's an option :)

I'm sure one of the accomplished makers on here would have better advice.

One thing's for sure, they all are willing to share any tricks they have, just like any of the other experts in their field on here.

That's what makes this place the go to site.

Edit. You could even twist one up in colors to match those nice graphics on your Uukhas..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts