Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Marrying a newly obtained Sky TDX riser with a set of extra long Morrison longbow limbs had me scrambling to find a string of the right length....until Mitch volunteered to build me a couple, I thank you buddy....

But it made me realize that there was another key part of my traditional education that needed to be addressed...the ability to build my own strings. I build a lot of my own kit and do most everything from center/nock point servings to arrow building and fletching. A couple of days off from work gave me the time to put the materials I've had sitting around since last fall to use and a conversation with treehermit finally stopped my procrastination! The materials, except for the spreader nuts/bolts/washers, were all obtained from scrap I picked up on an HVAC job I worked on.

Hoping to start with some basic string materials, learn all I can from the DVDs and tutorials done by the string building pros here on TT, and maybe I can work my way up slowly to building a good 8190 endless loop string.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Looks pretty good! :cheers:

BTW…..strings are on the way.

Reactions: longrifle346

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Nice jig. Is that main bar a section of strut used in hanging ceilings? If there is a lip on the bottom side, I'd flip it over and use that if possible as the increments between the oval bolt holes is kind of large and may limit your string lengths. There are times when I need to make a string that is only 1/4" longer/shorter and having a sliding, infinitely adjustable main bar is very helpful.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looking good! You will find that to be time well spent too. It's nice to be able to experiment with the length and loop size, not to mention the time saved in ordering a string or driving somewhere to have one made. It looks long enough to add a stretcher to it too, if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Looks good!
I have a piece of uni-strut and some bolts waiting for me to get to, hmmm....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the kind words, just yer basic ******* engineering.

treehermit the base unistrut is 70", I think you're right if I can work out a tensioning device. Gotta look at yours again.....

Arcus I made the posts from long bolts, drilled down into the head, and JDWelded some 1" sections of aluminum tent pegs into the holes. They still need to be dressed and cleaned up, just waiting for the adhesive to set up.

j-san you're close. Unistrut is most often used in conjunction with threaded rod to position A/C ducting in or above suspended ceilings. I've seen the system you're referring to, it appeared to be a very solid, adjustable hookup, and if I'd had access to a welder that would have been the route I'd have chosen as well. They welded their slider bar adjustment bolt on the bottom because there is no way to get a wrench to it. In the absence of a welder, I bolted mine on and cut down one of the sidewalls off of my spreader bars to give easier access to the bolts. Each of these slots are an inch long and once I set the bars close I think I actually have as much as two inches of fine adjustment.

Thanks again everybody, now to get some string material and serving and start practicing....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks treehermit, got that. Are you just using hooks through the brackets and tightening them to create the tension to stretch?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, I just position the brackets and tighten them down. Then adjust the hooks until the string is taut. I lock the hooks down too with a nut on the string side to keep them from turning.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Nice work LR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations!!

building your own strings is another step towards being able to get something when you want it rather than waiting for the big brown truck to bring it.;)

One day I'm going to bring out my string jig & try my hand again at the Flemish strings.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
Building your own strings is a lot of fun, and way cheaper in the long run (even with all the mistakes you'll make).

BTW - How do you add a pic you already used on this site? It's not in my attachment list, and it won't let me re-add it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I'm sure I'll have plenty of mistakes MAT!

(I think you have to modify it in some way...crop, resize, rename...before it will let you reuse one previously posted.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts