Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Olivia is down with a bum knee so it was just Leo and I at the state shoot. When I got to the registration table I asked how many guys were shooting barebow. It was the same group of guys so I said to heck with it and signed up for fingers/pins compound.

We have some real good guys in this class Blaine won redding last year. More importantly it moved me from the green stake (max 30) to the orange stake (no max). The 35-55 yard game is soooo different than the 15-25 yard game with a recurve.

Leo warming up on the 30 yard bale - I guess no one told him he couldn't shoot past 17.3 yards.

My fly shop sponsors the youth trad class buckles.

Leo and a jack a lope

I ended up shooting a 303 with 5 zeros - until today it had been three years with out a goose egg - I guess I broke that streak in style. It was funny my biggest issue wasn't under shooting targets it was looking at a 45ish target and thinking it was 50 or more. With a 45 yard point on that yardage error will put you right over a small target. When you are playing past your point on yardage errors just kill you.

But I had a ton of fun and looking forward to the flighted shoot tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Really, actually well done Matt! And I bet perhaps most important of all not only did you have a good time, but you also probably learned a few things as well, doing it this way.

But next time, if you would just give your arrows their own names, you'll do even better!

:)

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Dang Matt, I think 55yd max is IBO Pro class. You still outscored me, must have been a lot of targets?
So the big question, how did Leo do? :D

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken - 40 targets today and 40 tomorrow - no max we had shots to 75-80 but most were 30-45

Leo did fine but I do think he will be bummed come awards time. He is in cub class which is a shoot where you want class. For most kids this is a stab it class for Leo it means standing on a rock 25 yards away - at one point he wanted to climb a tree ;-).

Paul - I gave those 5 dirt nap arrows names just nothing I can repeat here - I HATE looking for arrows in the dirt.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ben I was totally unprepared for this one and didn't know my stuff past my point on so I just held over. Normally I can string-walk using the tip to my point on then switch to aiming off the shelf with a crawl.

I just hadn't played with it yet.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I only time I get upset is if I didn't shoot anywhere near my potential, I don't mind being beaten if I shot well and the other guy also shot well and earned his win. I feel getting my butt kicked is a good thing, it keeps me humble and gives me that drive to do better next time.

I thought I was half decent in Bowhunter div but at NAFAC a couple of years back Gary gave me a serious whooping, I saw what was possible in that div and it gave me the desire to up my game, thanks Gary :cheers:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got zero problems with getting my but whooped if I wanted easy I would have shot barebow class today.

I really think with some work I can be competitive in this class.

Matt

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
heck, just shoot with sights ;-)

I know, easier said than done. I tried sights on my light bow, didn't help. 15 years of 'instinctive' shooting and those things just distract the heck out of me.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm - sights and a clicker

I actually thought about it yesterday but if nothing else I'm stubborn - I want to do it string-walking.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Matt, I would ask myself, and I'm sure you did, "we're all my shots in control?".... And if the answer was yes then all you need do is learn "the calibrating", and apply it next time 'round. I have no doubt in your success sooner than later!

Tom

·
Arcus Nuda
2,306 Posts
I shot an Indoor 3D at out local pro shop last Tuesday, I think I ended up with a 330. It was a different shooting environment for sure. I think that put me mid pack with the compounds. We all shot from the same distances as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts