Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and a few like mined types from work get together every Friday night,drink talk laugh and blow off some the the weeks stress.

So one night one of the boys I'd introduced to shooting mullet a couple of years ago started talking about getting out to the river an bringing home a few fish.

A new arrival to the company pricked up his ears an started asking about this bowfishing and archery thing in general,,so we told him all about it as you do.

Then last week as I'm heading for my car after work this guy "Neville" stops his truck in the middle of the yard, jumps out with a recurve in his hands and asks me what I thought of it.

Well it's an October Mountain 3 piece [email protected] and in very good condition,but it had no nocking point and no arrow rest or shelf covering.

Nev' also had no finger tab,arm guard or arrows to go with it.
So the next day I head around to his place with a target bag,an old Martin elevated rest,finger tabs,arm guard,a few different light weight arrows I've had laying about for years,plus two instructional introduction type books and a couple of my .MBB DVD's.

Then I gave him a few basic pointers and left him to it as I had other stuff on and couldn't stick around long.

Well last night was boys night again an Nev" turns up,sits down and starts telling everybody all about his new found sport an all about his bow.
How he's now hitting that bag well at 20 yards and how he now wants to come out to the river to check out this bow fishing.

So it looks like I'll be making a few new fishing arrows and putting together another bow fishing reel over the next couple of days.

Apparently a visit to the local archery shop is also being arranged.

So I guess there's more to bow fishing than just shooting fish:cheers:

John.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Funny how the flames get fanned, isn't it? I really enjoyed bowfishing but haven't done any since I left Florida. May have to break out the old fiberglass arrows and try to find some clear water.....

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Way to go John, way to introduce a new shooter the proper way. I think the biggest thing that limits our numbers is lack of exposure to the sport. If more people tried it, I think some would see the enjoyment and take it up.

·
Registered
638 Posts
. . . "like shooting fish in a barrel" as the old saying goes . . .

Good on 'ya

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It's always good to get a new archer, who potentially has an inkling to bowhunt, into bow fishing! There's more shots to keep them motivated... Just don't let them loose their shooting form to the excitement/semi-chaos of the shooting.

Tom

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Thanks John, great memories of a NZ (nth isl) trip in '99. Apart from shooting your nats at Massey and a crack at deer hunting, we were also invited "up north" to bowfish. What a blast !!! And the beer was great also. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.