Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A particular bow that has caught my eye might be the perfect bow..... but how would you know unless you married it. What if the honey moon is not what you had hoped for? I am getting "cold feet". What is perfect for me may not be perfect for another, and visa versa. Example, I have been "dating" a new bow the last couple of weeks. The bowyer sent me two risers and one set of limbs to try. One riser shoots great with the medium grip. The other, a low, I shoot all over the place. What if I ordered a new bow, invested the money, waited for it to arrive, and although it is a great bow... I just don't shoot it as well as with the others? It's a big gamble. I had rather not start a bow collection, buying and trying. I know that the demo med riser bow sent to me has shown that this particular bowyer's bows, built to my likened, would be more than satisfactory. So, do I go the safe route, since I would know exactly what I'm getting, already determined exact grip, limb, riser, etc..... or opt for the unknown of the latest and greatest, taking the chance that I may not like the limb pull, the grip size, etc? Opinions

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
buy used stuff - buy sell - trade - until you're sure what you like.
You can't lose much, if any, money this way.
Used stuff is worth the same whether you're buying or selling, pretty much.
It's a good education.
Then you can buy the new custom of your choice, with confidence, because you've already got your experience.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've been around and around with all kinds of longbows, recurves, and lately 25" metal risers and target style recurve limbs. I have bought and sold, and bought again.

You don't need a fancy bow to shoot well. With good shooting form you can shoot anything well. So, I guess what I am saying is if you have a shooter keep it. The latest and greatest can be over rated.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Princess! IOW, it takes a little experimenting to find what works best for you. My search has lead me to some great learning experiences and if you're careful and patient doesn't usually cost a whole lot more than shipping. It's also put some bows on my rack that are great shooters and very likely to stay there.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
buy used stuff - buy sell - trade - until you're sure what you like.
You can't lose much, if any, money this way.
Used stuff is worth the same whether you're buying or selling, pretty much.
It's a good education.
Then you can buy the new custom of your choice, with confidence, because you've already got your experience.
Good points

Buy a good ILF riser that fits you and buy used limbs till you find the right pair

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Well the best setup long trem is to have ONE BOW....I know I have tried alot and like them all, but to get real good you need to shoot one ALOT.

I have two tennis rackets and strung at different tensions.....never works out very good.

So you try them and see what suits you best and then STICK WITH IT......so go used.....jer

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
here in the uk weIhave the distance selling regulations. any stock item bought can be returned for refund for any reason. including "I dont like it"

because of the UK culture in Archery of try before you buy. We extended this to Custom made orders.

the small print Is we dont refund postage. (stops tyre kickers) and we dont accept returns after 28 days.

this is our way to try and help cover the risks.

so if we dont meet your performance expectations. your quality expectations. or you hit finacial woes between order time and delivery. you can get out if you dont wish to proceed.

ask your bowyer of choice if they can help settle your nerves with a deal like this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A particular bow that has caught my eye might be the perfect bow..... but how would you know unless you married it. What if the honey moon is not what you had hoped for? I am getting "cold feet". What is perfect for me may not be perfect for another, and visa versa. Example, I have been "dating" a new bow the last couple of weeks. The bowyer sent me two risers and one set of limbs to try. One riser shoots great with the medium grip. The other, a low, I shoot all over the place. What if I ordered a new bow, invested the money, waited for it to arrive, and although it is a great bow... I just don't shoot it as well as with the others? It's a big gamble. I had rather not start a bow collection, buying and trying. I know that the demo med riser bow sent to me has shown that this particular bowyer's bows, built to my likened, would be more than satisfactory. So, do I go the safe route, since I would know exactly what I'm getting, already determined exact grip, limb, riser, etc..... or opt for the unknown of the latest and greatest, taking the chance that I may not like the limb pull, the grip size, etc? Opinions
When I seen your post it was like we were both thinking the same thing. I am driving myself and the hubby nuts with this idea of changing my riser.

Like you I tried a riser a few weeks ago and just couldn't make up my mind. there is really nothing wrong with the riser, I think it's me ! For me to change my perfectly good set upset I want the magical bow, you know the one that's just perfect.

I have a really short draw and it makes it difficult to get risers to suit me. Over here is the UK we tend to only shoot 25 inch or like me its 23inch. But the choice for 23inch is very limited. There really is only 1 or 2 bows to choose from.

I think maybe what I'm holding out on is a 23inch Vanquish !!

Well .... I haven't made up my mind what to do, so I feel your pain.

Hope you can make a decision

Jo

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I agree, buy used when you can and stick to iLF. Spend the money on the riser because that's the part you're in contact with. Most limbs will do the job for you whether they are a $100 or $1000 pair so get your riser sorted then play with limbs until you get the right combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Don't over think it. You are right, it's hard to get to know a bow with a few shots but there are a lot of good bows out there and the differences are subtle. Buy used if possible, that lets you get your money back if you don't like it after a few months.

Otherwise you need to take a chance. It the bow you are borrowing is everything you want it's hard to send it away. You know the old saying, never leave fish to find fish.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here in the uk weIhave the distance selling regulations. any stock item bought can be returned for refund for any reason. including "I dont like it"

because of the UK culture in Archery of try before you buy. We extended this to Custom made orders.

the small print Is we dont refund postage. (stops tyre kickers) and we dont accept returns after 28 days.

this is our way to try and help cover the risks.

so if we dont meet your performance expectations. your quality expectations. or you hit finacial woes between order time and delivery. you can get out if you dont wish to proceed.

ask your bowyer of choice if they can help settle your nerves with a deal like this.
This is a great deal for customers. Impressed

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
It is a catch 22. You can't find the perfect bow till you are a perfect archery. You can't be a perfect archery till you find the perfect bow. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts