Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in the future of elk hunting and the role of the wolf, you might want to pick up this book:

Alaska's Wolf Man: The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser
by Jim Rearden.

The story of Frank Glaser is a great read and his insight into the wolf is really fascinating. No stats or graphs just decades of a regular guy in the wild first as a market hunter, then a government hunter and evolving into a field expert on the wolf.

No macho hyperbole on hunting or surviving just a real-life mountain man before high-tech gear.

Lots of good stuff on bears, caribou, sled dogs, wolf-dog breeds. I think any predator or big game hunter would enjoy this book.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks, sounds like a good read

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be clear. Elk hunting is not directly addressed but the wolf's predatory relationship with caribou is similar.

The thing I found interesting was that Glaser had neither a love or hate relationship with wolves but he was a keen observer of their behavior. Other than hunters in planes I would be surprised if anyone has killed as many as he has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.