Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback from anyone that's used the Gold Tip Velocity arrows. Looking for a little lighter arrow than the Black Eagle Vintage that I'm shooting right now. Anyway, aside from my crazy reasons, just wondering if anyone has shot them out of a single string. I shoot off the shelf so looking to fletch them with feathers.

In case anyone cares, my current Vintages are around 11.5gpp with only about 11% FOC. According to my numbers I should be able to build a Velocity closer to the 10ggp mark that I'd like to be at and my FOC would be upwards of 18-20%. Those are closer to the numbers I'd like to have out of my arrows.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a half dozen for my bow with training wheels, they seem to be good. The Gold Tip warriors are close cousins, and I have been shooting them out of single strings for years.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Same shaft as the Ultralight. I've used both interchangeably.
They aren't built for missing so if that's something you do regularly you might have durability issues.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Looking for some feedback from anyone that's used the Gold Tip Velocity arrows. Looking for a little lighter arrow than the Black Eagle Vintage that I'm shooting right now. Anyway, aside from my crazy reasons, just wondering if anyone has shot them out of a single string. I shoot off the shelf so looking to fletch them with feathers.

In case anyone cares, my current Vintages are around 11.5gpp with only about 11% FOC. According to my numbers I should be able to build a Velocity closer to the 10ggp mark that I'd like to be at and my FOC would be upwards of 18-20%. Those are closer to the numbers I'd like to have out of my arrows.
Great shafts. I have the Velocity XT (don't know if that's the same thing).

Very tough at that GPI. I shoot them in the .300 spine off the shelf at 57lb and 62lb (at my DL). The only thing is the price. I don't see that GPI and straightness tolerance being worth it at sub 35m hunting distances, so I go with the stock GT Hunters (at 9.3 GPI, which is just 0.4 GPI heavier) and much cheaper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Very tough at that GPI. I shoot them in the .300 spine off the shelf at 57lb and 62lb (at my DL). The only thing is the price. I don't see that GPI and straightness tolerance being worth it at sub 35m hunting distances, so I go with the stock GT Hunters (at 9.3 GPI, which is just 0.4 GPI heavier) and much cheaper.
I think your XT's are just .003 and the standard ones I'm looking at are .006 but there's no way I'd be able to tell a difference. Not at that level yet. But I am at the level where $$$ matters and I can be hard on arrows now and then. That's great to hear. I'm shooting mainly in the 40-50# range so I'm guessing 400's probably for me then. Cost and weight is what's got my attention. The Vintage's I've been shooting are 9.2gpi at $65 and the Velocity's are 7.4gpi at $59 for 6. Found a couple places on ebay they're going for as low as $39 a 6pk.
I like the look of the Vintage's but I gap/point shoot and there's a lot of times that arrow washes out in my sight picture. I'm hoping the darker black arrows are a little more sharp to my eyes as far as my aiming goes too.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think your XT's are just .003 and the standard ones I'm looking at are .006 but there's no way I'd be able to tell a difference. Not at that level yet. But I am at the level where $$$ matters and I can be hard on arrows now and then. That's great to hear. I'm shooting mainly in the 40-50# range so I'm guessing 400's probably for me then. Cost and weight is what's got my attention. The Vintage's I've been shooting are 9.2gpi at $65 and the Velocity's are 7.4gpi at $59 for 6. Found a couple places on ebay they're going for as low as $39 a 6pk.
I like the look of the Vintage's but I gap/point shoot and there's a lot of times that arrow washes out in my sight picture. I'm hoping the darker black arrows are a little more sharp to my eyes as far as my aiming goes too.
Totally hear you about cutting down overall arrow costs. In my view you have more confidence in the woods and at 3D courses etc if you're not constantly worried about your expensive arrows. You get to have more arrows too!

They should cost as much as they need to to be reliable and accurate enough for your needs, not some fantasy. You have to be shooting at a very high level, and at 40+ meters, for straightness tolerance of .003 to mean anything at all, especially on a barebow. .006 is plenty good enough, and probably straighter than the straightest wood shaft that ever existed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arrow cost is a very big deal to me. lol. I have 14 different bows and I can usually get any one of them to shoot well with 1 of 3 different arrows I have laying around. I keep at least 6 each of the Vintage 400's, 500's and 600's at full length with 150g tips and most of my bows will shoot one of them pretty good. Not perfect but about 85% of the way there. So refitting my arrow setup is going to potentially cost a little to convert over. lol

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The GT Velocity / Ultralight are good for my purposes - I use them mainly in 600 spine uncut, to give me a decent point on and a low 30s # draw. I've looked at other shafts but they are good mix of performance and price. Occasionally you get one out of spec, but for sub 30 yards I have not found the need for anything tighter like the Velocity Pro +/- 0.001"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You mentioned you were shooting the 300's out of your 57-62# bows. Can I ask how much weight you have up front with the tip and insert? And are you running them the full 32" or cutting them down? Just trying to gauge what spine I'll need or at least a good starting point.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was trying to build a 10gpp arrow,, I wouldn't use the Velocity shafts. They are a lightweight target shaft and are a little less durable than the regular Hunter shafts.
What would you recommend in the 10gpp range with 200g up front, 32" long arrows in the 'under $60 per 6pk' group? I found a good few that would work but they're all in the $75 or higher. I did briefly consider Outlaws but they looked very similar to the Velocity's but they were .5-1.0gpi heavier and a couple $$ more per 6pk. Heck, I found 400 and 500 Velocity's on ebay for $39 for a 6pk with vanes. It's almost better to strip the vanes off those and add feathers than to buy bare shafts.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I would use either the Hunter or the Traditional (.246ID) shaft which is slightly heavier. You can usually find the Traditional shaft blems on Ebay for about $60/dz with nocks and inserts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would use either the Hunter or the Traditional (.246ID) shaft which is slightly heavier. You can usually find the Traditional shaft blems on Ebay for about $60/dz with nocks and inserts.
Those Traditionals are about the same weight as my current Vintages. That bareshaft price is pretty nice though! The Hunters are a touch lighter but they don't offer them in 600's which I think I'm going to need on my sub 38# bows if they're spined anything like Black Eagles.

·
Registered
812 Posts
You mentioned you were shooting the 300's out of your 57-62# bows. Can I ask how much weight you have up front with the tip and insert? And are you running them the full 32" or cutting them down? Just trying to gauge what spine I'll need or at least a good starting point.
I'm shooting 300 on the end of the 57lb, and 300 on the end of the 62lb (actually more like 62.3lb or so on that bow).

• 57lb: 100gn 3 River 1.4" insert and 200gn point or broadhead, 30.59" shaft
  • 62lb: 100gn Gold Tip 1.85" insert with 200gn point or broadhead, 30.59" shaft

Note the GT insert is a lot longer than the 3 rivers, and so that stiffens the shaft a surprisingly large amount. I use the ultra-short Gold Tip 'Acculite' 10gn nocks on the 57lb, and longer 14gn old-school Easton nocks on the 62lb. the longer nock artificially lengthens the arrow slightly, softening it just enough to balance the stiffening of the insert (flies slightly stiff with the Acculite). Both are hybrid longbows. Bareshafts come off dead straight at 5-20m, like needles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
GT traditional carbons and Easton aluminum arrows, Legacy and Tribute for the range and camo hunters for hunting. My 500 spine GT trads weigh 461.20 grains. My Easton 1916 arrows weigh 485 grains. Cheaper in price carbons look at Fleetwood arrows. They are tough, hard to tear up. They weigh in at 416 grains. All these arrows fly good with my bow at 44 and 48 pounds. These arrows give me between 8.5 and 10 grains per pound of draw weight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I don't find the blessings for $60 anymore, now they're $70. Here's the link to some 600's: Gold Tip Traditional Blemish Shafts 600’ NEW in Wrapper One Dozen Free Shipping | eBay
Yeah, I think I can get a dozen standard Velocity shafts for $75 on Amazon/eBay, $80 through Lancaster. And the Velocity's are 5.9gpi compared to the Traditional 7.8gpi which is about what my current Vintage's run at 7.9gpi so I wouldn't be gaining much with the Traditional though they're a good bit cheaper than the Vintage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So quick feedback. I got my hands on some Gold Tip Velocity 400's. And at full length (32") with 50g inserts and 150g tips, I get 458g total weight with 19.9% foc. Bareshaft are shooting extremely well in my 42# to 50# bows so far and giving me 9.1gpp on the 50# side to 10.9gpp on the lower bow, 42# side of things. So I dropped 1.2gpp on my 50# bows and 1.5ggp on the 42# and gained over 5% more foc. I think I found what I was looking for!!! SCORE!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
So quick feedback. I got my hands on some Gold Tip Velocity 400's. And at full length (32") with 50g inserts and 150g tips, I get 458g total weight with 19.9% foc. Bareshaft are shooting extremely well in my 42# to 50# bows so far and giving me 9.1gpp on the 50# side to 10.9gpp on the lower bow, 42# side of things. So I dropped 1.2gpp on my 50# bows and 1.5ggp on the 42# and gained over 5% more foc. I think I found what I was looking for!!! SCORE!!!
Nice job. Glad to read that worked out. This video is very related to what you've just done:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts